Servicing and protecting manufacturers warranty?

OK I have not taken delivery yet but I will have to think of sorting out a reputable & reliable garage to service it and at the same time not infringing the warranty.

My Td5 has been serviced 3 times by the dealership at Stockton, Middlesbrough. Stratstone at the moment but seems to change its name annually. Problems experienced (which included some warranty work on a gearbox oil seal): They broke the windscreen, rounded the locking wheel nuts on my alloys, left vehicle in diff lock for me to collect and 2 years after the job was done I was under the vehicle and noticed the 4 bolts finger tight holding the gearbox chassis X member! WOULD YOU TAKE YOUR NEW PUMA TO THIS DEALERSHIP TO BE SERVICED?

Another Stratstone dealership in Pickering is where my wife saw the garage staff playing football in the car park among the dealerships & customers cars.

These are my local Land Rover dealers and I would not touch either of them with a barge pole.

I could take it to Armstrong Massey in York where I am buying it but it is 70 miles.

What this thread is about is where can I find out which garages are approved to service my Puma and will not have problems if I need to claim on the warranty?

Thanks

MINESAPINT

Guest diesel_jim

I think you'll find that all garages that are VaT regstered can service any car and the manufacturer has to honour the warranty.

although personally i'd prefer to trust a garage that "knows" LR's, but, like you describe, your local ones are a bunch of monkeys.

i trust that as soon as you got your vehicle back and realised that the locking nuts were rounded/screen broken you went back and complained :rolleyes:

and 2 years after the job was done I was under the vehicle and noticed the 4 bolts finger tight holding the gearbox chassis X member!

had you had a new clutch fitted then? or gearbox work? if not, then why would they be removing the crossmember? and 2 years isn't really the fault of the dealership, what sort of milage had you done in that time? any off road work? flexing the chassis, rough fast corrougated tracks that could have shaken it loose?

Thanks Diesel Jim.

One of the issues I was concerned about when deciding whether to buy a Puma was having to take it to a main dealer for servicing given my past & recent experiences. I am well relieved & do have someone in mind, just have to check if he is VAT registered.

Yes they replaced the locking nuts no problem but one wonders how this could happen. My guess is they used the wrong pattern to undo them if you understand where I am coming from.

The windscreen was already replaced and they did not tell me. I only found out because I found glass they had not bothered to remove from the vehicle behind the seats. I contacted them & they admitted breaking it. Said it was a stone off the road I seem to remember.

I hear what you are saying about the crossmember. Yes they did do some warranty work on the gearbox, an oil seal. I cannot rule out the bolts working loose but the vehicle never goes off road & I am quite happy tootling along at 50 mph (comes with age)! Considering the evidence & their track record I still believe it was their fault, however I whipped a spanner out & tightened them up.

MINESAPINT

If you do go about using an independant, make sure they use LR parts

and stick to the LR servicing shedule, otherwise any warranty claims could be thrown

out using the excuse that it was not serviced to LR standards.

Try Four+4 in Leeds if that isn't too far away. I have nothing but positive expirience

when using them.