90 gearbox swap

Morning all,

I have an E reg 90 with a TD that has just packed in, i have a disco that i am going to take a 200tdi from. The Disco running gear is in pretty good condition and has a lot less miles on it than the LT77 in my 90.

I have been told the bell housing is a lot longer on the Disco box and if i want to use the gear box i will have to move the engine mounts fwd in the 90. Also moving the engine fwd will move the weight further fwd over the front axel. I will be using the 90 for off roading mainly.

When i do the engine swap, is it worth swapping for the disco gearbox also?

Anyone who has already done this, what are the pro's and con's, any advice welcome?

Cheers

I fitted a disco 200tdi to my 2.5 petrol. The engine mounts were in the right place when using the old gear box and bell housing. The engine is really far back in the engine bay and required pipes making up to reach the radiator and intercooler. Also the bulkhead needed a section taking out of it to take the down pipe and starter motor. Not all the holes on the bell housing line up so it has only some of the bolts mating the bell housing to the engine but I am lead to belive this isnt a big deal.

There are other ways of doing it. But I did mine this way and its been great for the past 4 years and I've changed the engine again since (which this time was a straight sawp becuase all the work was already done) It gets used for alot of serious off roading and even every day travel here in Romania is what you would call greenlaning in the UK.

post-7320-1209112620_thumb.jpg

post-7320-1209112640_thumb.jpg

Cheers Scotian, Green laning everyday sounds fun.

I have read Les's post about doing the 200tdi swap so i have an idea of what i will have to do for that bit, not sure if while everything is out it is worth chucking in the lower milage disco box in there. Then the mounts box will all line up, i will have more room and i think i can use the TD down pipe because of the luurvly extra room, so i dont have to fabricate anything for the exhaust.

But what are the negatives, need to move the engine mounts fwd, will this upet the engine gearbox alignment or upset the 90 weight distribution and any other install probs or anything like that?

Disco box won't fit your 90 without a lot of of work.

The two boxes have totally different gearlever mounts / selectors, and the internals are not interchangeable so you can't swap the selector from one to another. Simple things like the transfer box lever positions are also different as well.

The Tdi will bolt straight in on your existing box and use the existing mounts. That's the way I would go with it.

Matt