Tdi autobox problem

BogMonster

The other half's boy has got a 1995 Discovery 300Tdi auto which has just developed a gearbox problem. I don't know a lot about broken auto boxes (there's not that many autos here and most of them work!) but just wondered what others thought...

Trying to drive forwards or reverse it is OK initially then there is a banging and jerking you can both hear and feel through the transmission, this increases dramatically with speed and about 10mph is all the ears can stand. It will move in low range at low speed with little noise but again as soon as you get up to a few mph off it goes again, best way to describe it is that it sounds a bit like rolling a metal toolbox full of tools down a flight of stairs and the jerking is a bit like you can get from a collapsed CV joint when the balls fall out and jam the wheel, but it isn't that because it tows fine.

Towed it in yesterday and even towing with auto and t/box in neutral it was banging away to itself, but if you put the auto box in Park (hence locking the output shaft from the box) and left the t/box in neutral then it appeared to be OK. Conversely, putting the auto in Drive and the t/box in neutral (with vehicle not moving) so the autobox output was spinning freely produced a hell of a noise, so I am 99% it is something in the auto box. Putting it in gear and revving it against the brakes doesn't produce any noise and no immediately obvious indication of clutch slip etc in the auto.

Any thoughts anybody please? I think it will be terminal as the vehicle is a heap anyway (poorly rebuilt accident damaged vehicle only cost £1500 and not worth spending any amount of money on) and it will probably not cost effective to repair but just wondered if it might be anything cheap. It certainly isn't worth a new autobox and the top limit worth spending is probably about £500 and even that is debatable.

Ta :)

Any idea what has gone?

The oil on the dipstick looks OK and there is plenty of it - one of my initial thoughts was the torque converter due to lack of oil but apparently not and it doesn't seem to make horrid noises unless the vehicle is actually moving which rules out clutch slip or TC failure I think?

Sorry,apart from doing solenoid valves in the F/lander autoboxes and looms in later electronic Zf's I rarely delve into them.Most of the time there is a nasty metallic mess which just means a call to Ashcroft's for an exchange unit - they are so good I dont bother doing anything else.