advice on building a disco off roader HELP!!!!!&#3

old leafer

hi there i hope this dont go on to much but i have a few questions

A:is a 300 and a 200 chassis the same

B:can i lift 3 inches with out changing trailing arms ect or should i stick to 2 inch

C:my air box has been removed and have a k&n cone i want to remove this and fit a snorkle

can i use a 200tdi one on my 300 as i will have to pipe it up from scrach or do i need to get an airbox

any advice is most welcome as i have heard so much conflicting i am pulling my hair out and i dont have to much to spare

regads old leafer

Hi there :)

A - All Discovery 1 chassis' are eseentially the same regardless of engine.

B - Lift how? Suspension, body or both? The higher you lift the more problems you will encounter as a rule. Also why do you want to lift it (not that its a bad thing, but a lift may not be the best answer depending on the question).

C - Personally don't like k&n filters. The allow more airflow by reduced filtering and then clog up quicker than paper filters and then flow worse. Depending on the fab work you want to do you could fit either air boxes. I'd check Ebay or a LR breakers and try and buy the bits you need however.

Hope this helps :)

Hi there :)

A - All Discovery 1 chassis' are eseentially the same regardless of engine.

B - Lift how? Suspension, body or both? The higher you lift the more problems you will encounter as a rule. Also why do you want to lift it (not that its a bad thing, but a lift may not be the best answer depending on the question).

C - Personally don't like k&n filters. The allow more airflow by reduced filtering and then clog up quicker than paper filters and then flow worse. Depending on the fab work you want to do you could fit either air boxes. I'd check Ebay or a LR breakers and try and buy the bits you need however.

Hope this helps :)

hi hatt i was going to lift it on springs to get better angle of aproach as my 300 has old sagy springs

if it was my old series 3 i would no just what to do but these spring things i not to sure on

and the k&n has to go befor it hydrolics my engine i want to fit a snorkle so i may as well look for a 300 air box save messing around

many thanx old leafer

There a several different kits depending on taste and budget. Generally the more you spend the better it's probably liekly to be.

Lifting can cause pinion angle issues I believe and propshaft vibrations. I'm currently researching several setups.

Llama 4x4 and X-Eng sell some interesting stuff that's probably worth a look. Cheviot 4x4 also have IMO a nice setup.

Then look at the regulars at the lower end like the Britpart, GAZ or Pro Comp kits. Most LR mags will have loads of kits in it.

Paddock Spares, John Craddock, MM4x4 and others spring to mind as advertisers in the mags. Old Man Emu seem to have a good reputation too.