Failed Mot, rear hub seal

allegedly

Novice back again. Well, got the front sorted and then missed the slight leak of grease onto the inside of the offside rear disc, (caliper replaced by a garage about a year ago after a tosser on his mob phone ran into my missus,wrote off his Fiesta) so got a fail today. So back to steep learning curve.

I've trawled through the posts and can't find anything specific on how to replace the rear seal that I was told had gone. Checked the manual, located what I think is the offending part (Manual Section 51 Rear Axel and Final Drive, page 3, part #12?) but wondered if anyone has any tips or guideance on how to, step by step? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Not even sure if these are the right questions but....Halfshaft out, adjuster nut out, slide(!) hub off and access the back or does this involve stripping down and pulling out the bearings to replace those seals?

Still got access to a covered in workshop at work so another week of late nights but at least I'll be dry as it's pissing down here now after two weeks of sunshine...we think that was probably our summer!!

Thanks again Les, thats great, just the info I needed, the pics are worth more than any thousand words!

I keep feeling like I should apologise for asking what must appear to be stupid questions to peeps like yourself but like I said in the beginning, novice here!

Is it the norm for the front bearing to 'drop out' when you start this job? The bearing seem ok so no problem reseating that one putting it all back together? After a wipe down, visual check plus a good re greasing?

Right, off to see if I can order online the seal alone plus the new brake pads. Going to replace the front discs too while I'm at it as they were an 'advisory'! (explaining the new front pads were bedding in cut no ice there!).

Cheers Rob

Thanks Les, I also checked out the post on rear hub removal, excellent, and once I got the drive member and locknuts etc out the hub came off easy but I noticed the grease was very thin and 'blobby' around the bearings, too 'runny' in fact.

Would I be correct in assuming the 'outer hub/shaft seal' could have failed and oil is leaking through from the diff?

I'll be checking the vent breather on top of the axle, it has been parked at some odd angles recently,(I live on a mountain) and I read that could cause oil to seep through the seal if it was on its way out.

I've just checked out Nigels pic post on axle replacement to see what removing the stubs entails. I couldn't quite make out the seal in the pic but it's clear in the cut-away drawing in the manual.

Now I've just got to find the bits needing replacement in the on-line companies catalogues, still finding it a bit confusing that often the manuals use one name/part number and the suppliers another! Identifying the gasket or joint washer between the stub and axle is proving entertaining!

Rob

Makes sense Les, bearings look and feel smooth as. Glad I read that though, just about to order seal! Ofcourse, not having read it today, after work, I've removed the stub axle! Never mind, gave everything a good clean up prior to ordering seal!Ring on stub and mud guard at back completely shot so I'll renew those too while I'm here. Oil seal looks sound (actually looks bloody brand new)but there's definitely oil getting through so examined shaft at seal point and appears good too. Noticed no gasket/joint washer between stub and axle was fitted and none at the driveshaft flange to hub either so I'll add those to the list! I think that 'tool' that Nige used on the grease seal looks a good investment as well but I've learnt by my brake calipers rebuild, I'll be ordering more than one seal!

I hope this little dialogue is of use to someone else too..!