No power!!

Phantom

Help………….

Just purchased a D1 ‘97’ 300tdi auto with EDC.

The head gasket had failed between 2 & 3 - new gasket popped on last week.

However, once the vehicle was running another fault became apparent……no power. When started cold you can put the throttle pedal on the floor and the vehicle will very slowly pull away, performance slightly improves once some temperature builds up but hills are a bit of an issue! A mate of mine has the same set up in his disco - auto/edc and it’s a different beast with loads of power.

Since last week I’ve checked / replaced the following:-

Checked timing and fitted new cam belt, tensioner & idler

New fuel lift pump

New air and fuel filters

Drained rear water trap

Blown through fuel lines

Removed and cleaned / checked all intercooler pipes and checked intercooler for blockages

Cracked off ( carefully ! ) injectors whilst engine is running and all create a ‘miss’ when undone

Confirmed waste gate link is connected

When rev’ed the turbo pipes harden and with the top intercooler pipe removed a high volume of air is emitted

Ran the vehicle with the AFM disconnected - no change

Checked for any loom / wiring breaks

And………not sure what to do next?

When rev’ed either in park or driving I’ve never seen any unburnt fuel or black smoke out of the exhaust unlike every other tdi I’ve owned - I’m guessing it’s a lack of fuelling - but with the EDC controlling the fuel??

Thanks in advance

Lee

Sounds like you have tried everything!

I fixed a number of problems on mine by cleaning the ECU connector and plug, unclip the big plug off the ECU and spray some electrical cleaner in then insert and remove it a few times.

When you drained the sedimentor at the back did you just drain it with the plastic screw on the bottom? If so try taking the whole thing apart, it's just as easy to take it off, just one nut on top. I found mine was full of carp which didn't come out the drain plug.

You could try a temporary fuel tank in the engine bay so you can rule out the rest of the fuel system.

Sounds like it could be the FIP though

Do you recon a main dealers testbook would talk to the EDC system and show any faults up? Also is there a likely component in the EDC that would cause my lack of power other than the FIP.

Thanks for your replies so far

Lee

Yes I believe the Testbook machine will read all the codes off for an EDC model Disco.

Can't think of anything else that wouldn't show up a fault.

From your foot you've got the pedal and the throttle potentiometer - I guess that could be at fault but I would expect a CEL. Then you've got the ECU, then you've got the FIP. On that side of things there isn't much more. I'm not sure if there are any sensors or the like?

On a cold day a "normal" EDC disco has no power on start up - mine didn't and I've had 5 or 6 people confirm theirs is the same, 5 seconds or so later full power is there. It's weird as it isn't even like it's struggling, there is no smoke it just doesn't go. It's not too noticeable if you park on the flat, but I've got quite a steep drive and you have to leave it a few seconds before it will drive up. It sounds like yours is similar but it's not returning to normal?

Yes I believe the Testbook machine will read all the codes off for an EDC model Disco.

Can't think of anything else that wouldn't show up a fault.

From your foot you've got the pedal and the throttle potentiometer - I guess that could be at fault but I would expect a CEL. Then you've got the ECU, then you've got the FIP. On that side of things there isn't much more. I'm not sure if there are any sensors or the like?

On a cold day a "normal" EDC disco has no power on start up - mine didn't and I've had 5 or 6 people confirm theirs is the same, 5 seconds or so later full power is there. It's weird as it isn't even like it's struggling, there is no smoke it just doesn't go. It's not too noticeable if you park on the flat, but I've got quite a steep drive and you have to leave it a few seconds before it will drive up. It sounds like yours is similar but it's not returning to normal?

For my sin’s I’ve driven 100’s of tdi’s - mines defiantly got a power problem! Its got the ‘refusing to move syndrome’ when cold but even when up to full operating temp I have to hold it in all the gears, foot on the floor to reach 50 mph! I’m thinking of fitting a mechanical FIP…..

Thanks again for your advice so far

Lee