Series Doors On Defender

Probably an easy question for you knowledgeable people.....

fitting 2 x series doors onto 90 2.5TD 90.....fitted the passenger one first, reused existing hinges, bolts, nuts etc....fitted new anti-burst handle, and fitted new catch on pillar, so the door closes and locks, slide in the upper part and bolted it tight to the lower door....however once the door is closed, there is a big gap at the top of the door.

not knowing enough about Series and 90's for that matter, is there something i.e. spacer, wedge that I need to fit?

thanks in advance.

There is definatly a rubber between door top and bottom on my series LRs but have never stuck one on a 90/110 to know, how big is the gap....?

Gap would be around 1cm at its widest.....

There should be a seal that fits between the upper and lower sections of the door- though this would not account for the gap being that big!

Does the bottom section close squarely in the hole?- spacers are available to place behind the hinges to move the top or bottom in or out a bit which would obviously move the top in or out by a lot more than the bottom (hope that makes sense? :huh: ) Also are the studs that hold the top to the bottom sitting squarely in the tubes before the nuts are done up- with the nuts undone the top can obviously waggle about all over the place- the nuts should be tightened with the studs in the middle of the holes.

If all else fails you may have to try the good old method of bending the doors slightly... yes I am serious... assemble door, keep it in the open position and bend the top inwards slightly... obviously don't go mad but you should be able to bend it... If it all goes horribly wrong then the above was not my idea!!! :ph34r:

superb advice all round.....think plan of action should be

1 - use spacer on bottom hinge

2 - increase the effectiveness of rubber seal, might try and make it sit further out (guess i'll try it with strips of thick'ish plastic to test it out.

3 - if the above still doesn't work, will gently bend it...

thanks guys for this....will let you know how i get on.