disco took a dunk help

V8SMYMATE

:( Hi to all can you guys help?? i took my 3.9 v8 disco off road at farley quarry today, went too deep in the lake and sucked water straight into the engine (glug glug)

the said engine then died. I got recovered, took sparks out, then turned her over too clear the water (a fair bit pumped out). I then wd40 everywere.i then crossed my fingers and tuned it over. She took about a minute but she fired up, after half an hour ticking over to dry her out i noticed the temp gauge was in the red after watching for a while i noticed that it was randomly going from cool too hot and then stayed hot do you guys think that it is water in the electrics doing this or somthing more sinster( i also drove 20 miles home with the temp gauge showing above hot but the engine seemed fine.)

also my windows central locking indicators hazard lights dont work, after some time drying out do you think these will start working again or will there be fuses gone?

thanks from i am going to buy a snorkle tomorrow

Duncan

Sounds like the water has/is shorting some of your electrics mate!

If it was me I'd check all fuses and see if things begin to work in a few days time once things have had chance to dry out.

How deep did you go? Engine submerged?? lol

If you have taken water on board the engine you could still be in big trouble - even if you managed to aviod hydraulicing it

Drop the Engine oil, and change the filter, flush with some cheap engine oil, then when hot (don't run the engine anymore till you have oil + Filter chnaged it) drop the oil again and then fit another new filter and put in decent new oil. Also check the air filter etc and prob equally change

And pray. :ph34r:

If the water inside was contaminated / gritty you may find that the engine life is now on it last legs, without the above done even more chance :(

Good Luck

Nige

If you have taken water on board the engine you could still be in big trouble - even if you managed to aviod hydraulicing it

Drop the Engine oil, and change the filter, flush with some cheap engine oil, then when hot (don't run the engine anymore till you have oil + Filter chnaged it) drop the oil again and then fit another new filter and put in decent new oil. Also check the air filter etc and prob equally change

And pray. :ph34r:

If the water inside was contaminated / gritty you may find that the engine life is now on it last legs, without the above done even more chance :(

Good Luck

Nige

Thanks for the info, i have already done this. the oil that came out didn,t look too bad. I think the water just went into the piston chambers and the top end, since last night the temp gauge issue seems to of righted itself with a squirt of wd40 and most of the electrics still damp but another couple of days with a heater should do it. the only thing i was not sure about is how to check the head gasket as the exhaust is clear the temp is fine. any other checks i could do?

Thanks

Duncan

Sounds like the water has/is shorting some of your electrics mate!

If it was me I'd check all fuses and see if things begin to work in a few days time once things have had chance to dry out.

How deep did you go? Engine submerged?? lol

my motor is +4" with 33" tyres the water came inside the disco upto the middle of the sterring wheel about 4.5ft (that will teach me not to play with water without a snork) I think i am going to be lucky as she seems to be going ok now i have droped the oil and it didnt look too bad i will give a week with a heater going 24/7 and see if that sorts it

Duncan

Thanks for the info, i have already done this. the oil that came out didn,t look too bad. I think the water just went into the piston chambers and the top end, since last night the temp gauge issue seems to of righted itself with a squirt of wd40 and most of the electrics still damp but another couple of days with a heater should do it. the only thing i was not sure about is how to check the head gasket as the exhaust is clear the temp is fine. any other checks i could do?

Thanks

Duncan

well done - but do flush it, you'll be amazed what can get in :blink: and the damage it can do

I wouldn't worry re the head gaskets, if it overheats thats a good sign :lol: or if the coolant pushes itself out, or for the posh version have a coolant gas test done :)

You may have got away with it - go shopping for snorkel :lol:

Nige

I'm just impressed a V8 managed to get in to water that deep without stopping first :lol:

Don't neglect the axle and gearbox oils as well.

Drop a bit out to check the state of them, even if you decide not to change them.

:rolleyes: thanks i will change she is now fully up and working after sorting out that useless spider immobalizer what a pain never mind thanks to all of you for your help

duncan