Sherpa engine

chris1965.2A

The differences between the two engine is the timing gear. The timing belt is different, so you won't get one from any L/R parts supplier. The injector pump is the same for both, but the sherpa one is fitted higher up. For this reason there is an idler wheel to supply enough wrap around the camshaft sprocket. The tensioner is the same, but the belt and idler have to be sourced from the main dealer (whoever owns Sherpa now). You can convert the sherpa engine to a 'normal' L/R engine, but you would need the timing case (both bits), injector pipes, and timing belt. The tin plate that is the timing cover makes this engine not suitable for off-road use because it's not water - tight. The sherpa timing belt and idler are getting harder and harder to get - this is an old engine now.

Les.

Hi Les

The engine was in my sherpa van then rebuilt in 2000 after i scrapped the van and fitted into my series 3.

Which at the time i made a 5mm thick alloy front cover, which extended up and sat behind the water pump between gaskets, which i made as well. Also i extended the cover to fit a twin lipped seal around the crank pully.

Drilled and taped the lowest part of the timing case to fitt a bolt which i could drain any water from the case.

Since then my series 3 has done 30,000 miles on and off road including some deep water with no problems. The series 3 is now being scrapped as i need the galvinised chassis for my 1966 2A.

When i get the cam belt and tensioner i will post a few pics of the cover plate. I have also found out the correct part numbers from the sherpa owners club.

Many thanks

Chris