Fitting a Td5 rear crossmember to a 300tdi chassis?

I am soon to be the proud owner of '97 300tdi defender 90 B) The only problem rust is as you'd expect on the rear crossmember but does not seem to of spread to the chassis rails so will be at some time fitting a new one. A friend of mine has a Td5 crossmember that he was going to fit to his 300Tdi but decided to go the whole hog and fit a new galv chassis. As it is now in his way he has offered it to me cheap but I was wondering if there were any problems with allignment to the existing chassis or tub? I'm assuming they are meant to be interchangable but seeing as most pattern crossmembers are often badly alligned I wondered if fitting a Td5 one is just asking for trouble :o

Guest diesel_jim

The chassis widths will be the same, as for aligning on the rear tub, well, just "bolt" the crossmember onto the tub (with the 10 small bolts across the back) then weld the crossemember onto the chassis in the place that it sits.

if you fancied then, you could fit a Td5 rear tank and have twin tanks.

if you fancied then, you could fit a Td5 rear tank and have twin tanks.

Two tanks :blink: I can barely afford to fill the one nowadays :o Mind you, seeing as I am looking into fitting a SVO conversion another tank hidden away underneath may be a better option than the usual plastic tank in the rear.....