Front recovery points?

steve_d

My Dakar build has a bull bar which is quite high up and mounts to the sides of some extensions coming off the front of each chassis rail upwards at 45 degrees. This makes clearance for a modified grill on cars with aircon.

Between the chassis rails there is a winch tray.

Net result is there is no location for Jate Rings nor can I see a way to sensibly fabricate something that bolts back into the chassis.

I believe some steering guards come with recovery points so the question is.....

Has anybody seen a design which would cope when using a 12000lb winch and a snatch block looped back to the guard.

Thanks

Steve

The steering guard on my Discovery has recovery eyes as part of the verticle sides they are made o 10mm plate and are bolted to the chassis in 3 places each side. Also my bumber has recovery eyes welded to the top of it and finally it also has round bar loops welded onto it as suggested by Bish.

Not the best picture but does show them all.

MyCar002.jpg

My Dakar build has a bull bar which is quite high up and mounts to the sides of some extensions coming off the front of each chassis rail upwards at 45 degrees. This makes clearance for a modified grill on cars with aircon.

Between the chassis rails there is a winch tray.

Net result is there is no location for Jate Rings nor can I see a way to sensibly fabricate something that bolts back into the chassis.

I believe some steering guards come with recovery points so the question is.....

Has anybody seen a design which would cope when using a 12000lb winch and a snatch block looped back to the guard.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve, suspect you might be a neighbour of a mate of mine,a guy called Martin, and there can't be too many Dakars being built in Waterlooville, he was telling me about it a while ago, I looked at the Dakars at Sodbury last year.

Anyway if it helps i'll shoot up and have a look, I have access to a pretty good range of materials and fabrication facilities, if it would help.

Cheers Bill

Bill

Is Martin the guy with the classic and the orange 90?

If so he was round with me the other day and we built a mount for his coil packs.

I have a 150 mig welder but am not confident about either of our abilities to make something strong enough to take the forces the winch can apply.

Would be nice to meet up with you if only to bounce ideas.

Steve

Bill

Is Martin the guy with the classic and the orange 90?

If so he was round with me the other day and we built a mount for his coil packs.

I have a 150 mig welder but am not confident about either of our abilities to make something strong enough to take the forces the winch can apply.

Would be nice to meet up with you if only to bounce ideas.

Steve

Steve, will send you a PM tomorrow with my phone number, have access to coded welders so thats not a problem, no Martin is landyless at the moment, couple of vans and a harley, will PM you tomorrow.

Cheers Bill