200TDI INTO SERIES ALTERNATOR WIRING

Hi could any one help i have fitted a 200tdi into my 1970 S2A can any one please tell me where the wires go?

:rolleyes: David

If you are using the alternator that came with the 200TDI, The colors are the same as the series: for the charging circuit (large brown wire) and the charge warning circuit (small brown wire with a yellow trace) You may have a white or yellow wire extra that is used only for the rev counter... it is not needed. Connect the large wire to the positive side of the starter (if it is not there already), and the small wire to the charge warning circuit of the series wiring, and you are done.

The wire colors also match up for the oil pressure warning and temp guage.

Good luck, David

Ray,

didn't I read on Richards site that it's just like wiring up a series 3 Diesel?

Todd.

It sure is... only difference is the plug at the alternator. If you use the series alternator, then it's all plug and play, but you have to adapt the alternator to the engine (fairly straight forward.

The only other wire that is needed is a 12volt switched for the diesel injection pump. According to Richard, at Glencoyne Engineering, the old 2.25 series diesel ignition switch does not work for this conversion. In the "Start" position, the accessory and run circuits do npot get 12 volts. There are two ways to fix it. The best way is to replace the diesel ignition switch with a petrol switch. the next best thing is to install a seperate switch on the dash as an on/off for the engine. While this is effective to run the vehicle, it makes loaning it out to one's friends bothersome in that you have to tell them about the seperate switch... but then again, this may help confuse vehicle theives... :)

If you are using the alternator that came with the 200TDI, The colors are the same as the series: for the charging circuit (large brown wire) and the charge warning circuit (small brown wire with a yellow trace) You may have a white or yellow wire extra that is used only for the rev counter... it is not needed. Connect the large wire to the positive side of the starter (if it is not there already), and the small wire to the charge warning circuit of the series wiring, and you are done.

The wire colors also match up for the oil pressure warning and temp guage.

Good luck, David

Hi thankyou this with the brown / brown yellow well brown/yellow to a bulb then to ignition i did. But being stupid i wired the white to a earth well it melted now the alternator light does not go out. Any ideas as to what i may have broke or is it dead. I have pics at project-green-oval.fotopic.net if any one interested.

thankyou

David

Hi thankyou this with the brown / brown yellow well brown/yellow to a bulb then to ignition i did. But being stupid i wired the white to a earth well it melted now the alternator light does not go out. Any ideas as to what i may have broke or is it dead. I have pics at project-green-oval.fotopic.net if any one interested.

thankyou

David

Sounds like you hurt the internal rectifier in the alternator. It is pretty cheap to fix. I just rebuilt mine recently. If you search the dreaded EBay, you can find a complete rebuild kit for ~16 GBP, or a complete one for ~40 GBP... It is a Lucas A127 alternator.

Use a multimeter to see what voltage the Alternator is putting out. It should be between 13 and 14.5 volts DC. Undercharging, you will end up with a dead battery, overcharging, batteries have a tendancy to explode...

BTW, are you getting rid of your old bonnet?

Sounds like you hurt the internal rectifier in the alternator. It is pretty cheap to fix. I just rebuilt mine recently. If you search the dreaded EBay, you can find a complete rebuild kit for ~16 GBP, or a complete one for ~40 GBP... It is a Lucas A127 alternator.

Use a multimeter to see what voltage the Alternator is putting out. It should be between 13 and 14.5 volts DC. Undercharging, you will end up with a dead battery, overcharging, batteries have a tendancy to explode...

BTW, are you getting rid of your old bonnet?

Hi yeah i have the bonnet if its any good to you (01892) 863 411