Hi there

To start with can I ask that you go easy with me as I am utterly new to this and its all a bit scary!

I have set my heart on a defender 90, 2.5tdi (1993) but am finding it difficult to get an idea of the running costs. I dont want to buy it then find out I cant afford to run it, and leave it standing in my yard which would be utterly sinful

Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of mileage i can expect to get from it. Obv. i know that there are lots of factors which will affect this, but any ball park figures would be appreciated

thanks much

Helen x

Firstly, welcome. Don't be scared - we're all here for the same reasons.

The 200 and 300 Tdi engines should return you around 26-28mpg. Obviously it'll depend on driving conditions and what you're intending to do (some people report 30+) but I'd say that's a safe combined average.

Hi Helen, and welcome. A 1993 would be a 200tdi, a pretty solid and reliable engine. MPG will vary quite a bit as you say, you should get somewhere between 25 to 30mpg, but will depend on the sort of driving you're doing.

Have a look at this thread for some real-world figures.

John

how longs a piece of string!

if the engine is standard and your tyres are the normal size/width (and a road pattern) and matched to the speedo gear - and you dont drive like an idiot,

then you should get 30mpg on average.

if you have bigger (or smaller tyres) then your speedo will read wrong and hence you need to alter all your calcs based on the speedo difference.

narrow road pattern tyres will give about 10% more economy than a wide/aggressive mud terrain. If you do mainly road miles, and lots of them - then it is financially worth while having 2 sets of tyres. Road rubber for daily use and a cheap set of remould muddies to put on when you go playing. the extra it costs to buy the remoulds (or second hand muds) will easily be recouped by the fuel savings.

having a roof rack, snorkel, lots of bolt on external stuff etc will reduce economy due to form drag.

tweaking the engine can save you fuel when sat at 60mph, but that depends how its done and if you use the extra power or not. Most would say their economy drops after a tweak, cos we're all big kids and like the extra 'snorters' available!

i have mud tyres, snorkel and a fueling tweak and get approx 25mpg driven carefully. Drops to 22mpg if i blat down the motorway above 70mph or drive enthusiastically.