body mounts

yogibear47.lee

hi i need to weld a hole in my chassis and it would be easier to take the body off , i dont know where the body mounts are and just want to know if you lot did.

well when i do this i was going to lifted the body where can i get the spacer for it and what else would i have 2 do

cheers lee

Bodymounts are located at the front (next to radiator) th the back of the inner wing, front and rear of the side sill, then at the rear crossmember. Should be 10 in total. They will be a b#gger to get undone and the rubbers will probably need replacing while you've got them apart.

As for a lift, there are a few posts on here about them. Have a search and see what you can find (probably better to use the Google version as body and lift are quite common terms on here). In short, you'll have to cater for the fuel filter pipes, steering linkage, gear shifters (manual/ auto and the hi/low one) and the seat belt mounts. You may also want to fill the gap created benesth the rear floor supports.

HTH

Adrian

check out Wizards shop on Ebay, he sells everything you need to do a 2" body lift on a Disco...

do an ebay search for discovery body lift....

I had my own spacers made up by the local metal merchant, x10 40mmx50mm round bar with a hole through, and x10 longer M10 s/s bolts and s/s nylocs. I bought the extended tie rod kit from wizrd for my last truck but I'll make my own this time.

The radiator can be left on place and you can weld tabs onto the radiator top bracket to lower the mounts.

Loosen off the steering column to allow it to slide then re-tighten the bolts. you will also have to lift the bumpers front and back, easy enought to do but a little fiddly.

I didn't initially pack the bottom of the boot floor but I did in the end as it carries some of the weight of the body shell.

I love the body lift and would do it to most of my trucks, however it is a complicated job but if done bit my bit it's a very rewarding and worthwhile mod.

Andi

Should be 10 in total.

Thats the body mounts but dont forget the middle wow seatbelt anchorages, these have a Torx bolt right through the boot floor into some threaded bosses welded to the chassis. these are a pain in the ass to undo unless you have access to a windy gun or an impact driver, just make sure you clear the head of the torx bole out before using an impact or windy gun because if its not propperly located it will be around hole in it rather then a star shaped one!

In addition to this there are 2 securing points on the INSIDE of the chassis rails just level with the rear of the front seats, these again can be a pain to undo without manly tools, the top of the attachement is held in with a pin and a cotter pin through a bush, your a better man than me if you can get the pins out!

I have taken the body off at least 20 discos and just chop through the outriggers that make up the 10 body MOUNTING plates, the rear seatbelt points i just cut the rear floor around them and leave them attached to the chassis when the body is removed and the ones inside the chassis i just cut the nuts off them with the small grinder........

You may NOT want to do it my way lol :P:o