Buying from

Hi

I've just ordered a cambelt kit from LRdirect.com, anyone had dealings with them good/bad, I have been informed that the cambelt kit comes with the solid crankshaft gear, but I forgot to ask if the belt was Dayco and if seals I ordered were genuine?

I also ordered a new lock assembly for the rear door, I want to take it apart (the old one ) and mend it but I would be stuffed if I can't get it back together to shut the back door, I looked for the thread that someone had posted on here for the repair of the lock but couldn't get any info on what to expect when I drilled the pressed rivets out, I didn't want to be left holding a hand full of springs :blink:

Cheers ted

LRdirect is a Britpart reseller.

The cambelt is Dayco and the seals are genuine only if you ordered the genuine ones (with the G suffix).

As for the crankshaft sprocket, see here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...mp;#entry248139 and the link in that message for pics and other "things".

Cheers for that mate!

The cambelt kit is marked down as being (OE) so should be a good one! I mailed LRdirect before buying to check that the crank shaft gear was the solid one and not the spot welded one that people have had problems with and Paul Knowles mailed back assuring me it was the good one?

I had not heared of the problems with the crank gear being a bad fit though? When was this recently or a while ago? If a while ago surley they have got rid of bad stock?

Cheers ted

PS any more info on what to look out for?

With things like timing belts and seals, the best you can do is go by personal recommendations on what has already been used by others. I thought only Bearmach did the solid crank gears? I wouldn't buy anything from Britpart - especially something as critical as timing gear. In my experience it's just not worth the risk using their stuff. If they supply genuine - then fair enough.

Les.

With things like timing belts and seals, the best you can do is go by personal recommendations on what has already been used by others. I thought only Bearmach did the solid crank gears? I wouldn't buy anything from Britpart - especially something as critical as timing gear. In my experience it's just not worth the risk using their stuff. If they supply genuine - then fair enough.

Les.

Thanks for that!!!! :blink:

I have been assured that it is OE stuff?

But how do I tell when it arrives other than being in OE plastic bags???? :blink:

Cheers Ted

PS. where do you get your kits from?

I can't find a Bearmach website that sells them

Bearmach sell the 300TDi timing belt in kit form (no oil/dust seals though). They are about £60 and if the belt is genuine it will come in a L/R box I would have thought. The name of the manufacturer will be priinted on the belt itself anyway. I don't know the make of the idler/tensioner/sprocket though, but the genuine sprocket will have a spot-welded outer lip on it, so easily identifiable before chucking it in the bin.

Les.

No, don't chuck it in the bin, use emery paper to make the hole a bit bigger and grind out the key slot a bit. Then it will be a loosish fit on the crank. Then if you reverse it you can use it to bash the new oil seal in nice and square. Even better with two of them.

To reiterate, DO NOT use a genuine or OEM kit. Get one from Bearmach, it will have a Dayco belt and the one-piece forged crank pulley. The GENUINE LR crank pulley has a spot welded shoulder on the front which can almost instantly fall off taking the belt and bits of your engine with it. This is the one case I know of where genuine is not better.