Disco tdi 300 auto - rear brakes

thebiglad

Hi all, well after singing it 's praises my Disco rather let me down today. I had been cleaning and fiddling with her (STEADY :blink: ) for a couple of weeks now to ensure a smooth passage (ooh err missus) through the French MOT and oh bother she failed on rear brakes.

Apparently they are not powerful enough. I recently cleaned the calipers and put some new pads in and the braking sensation feels really good, but when tested the rears were weak.

I've ordered new discs & pads but does anyone have any other ideas as to why the back brakes aren't delivering?

Cheers

Dave

Some Discoverys have a brake pressure reducing valve to the rear brakes so this may not be working correctly.
I reckon Boggy is right,those pressure reducing valves seem to sieze up in old age - I've had a few recently that have needed both feet and a good pull on the steering wheel to get enough effort on the dials.

In addition to this dont forget that new pads and discks will need bedding in before being any good to anyone.

Oh and if you want a replacement used pressure reducing valve then i can do you one for £15 posted to you in France.

All i need to know is what year your car is and how many inlets and outlets there are on it.

In addition to this dont forget that new pads and discks will need bedding in before being any good to anyone.

Oh and if you want a replacement used pressure reducing valve then i can do you one for £15 posted to you in France.

All i need to know is what year your car is and how many inlets and outlets there are on it.

Hi Skanny, I've just back after another trip with my Disco. The stupid thing is that she feels like she is braking really well - but the man from Del Monté he say no !!

If you can tell me where to look, I'll have a look tommorrow, re number of inlets and outlets

Some Discoverys have a brake pressure reducing valve to the rear brakes so this may not be working correctly.

Hi Boggy, I think you may be on the right track here, any idea please of a part number /correct title for this piece??

I'll be putting new discs and pads on next week but I want to be sure when I take it back to the Contrôle Technique place, it WILL go through.

Cheers

Dave