disco 2 - a little lift

yellodisco

Hi, I'm considering putting new 1" longer springs on the front of an 04 Disco 2 - to fit slightly bigger tyres (got 255x55x18 Grabber AT2s and about to replace with 255x60x18) and also to get a slightly higher approach angle and breakover in the middle. Does anyone know, if the front is lifted by 1" will the SLS air bags automatically sit slightly higher at the back to try to level the vehicle? I've also heard that its possible to put spacers under the SLS sensors that will trick the Disco into running slightly higher at the back - how is this done? THanks for any advice on getting Disco to sit a wee bit higher,

cheers, Alan

I don't think you will need to do anything as I run 255/70R16 on my D2 which are exactly the same diameter as the 255/60R18 and I have no problems with tyres touching anywhere.

In response to your question, no it won't lift the back as the height sensors are on the rear arms and making the front sit higher will have no bearing on the reading from the height sensors. In theory the cheat you suggest should work (altering the sensors) but I am not sure how/if it works in practice. Bear in mind that as the sensor is approx half way along the arm you will only need to adjust it by about half an inch to get an inch higher ride height.

• 2 weeks later...

A small bracket fitted between sensorarm and radius arm will trick SLS it to lift the rear (the sensors is being fooled into thinking it has become 1" lower than it actually is. Make a small bracket from simple flat iron with a bolthole distance of around 50% of the lift You want. If it sits too low - make a new one with a bit longer distance between the boltholes.

I have 2" spacer under airspring, and a brackets on the SLS-sensors.

Mind:

1) SLS works with door closed only (guess how I know)

2) If sensors are moved beyond what it regards as a "normal" range, SLS might turn itself off. Hence, if (doors closed) vehicle won't lift itself, jack it (using tow bracket) until wheels hang freely, and lower the vehicle down again. Maybe a few times, then start vehicle again, and SLS should work.

many thanks for responses -will have a go at making up little brackets and see what happens. I can use it in raised mode when pottering about off-road but as you know, as soon as you go over about 18mph it drops back to "normal" level. ANyone know if its possible to over-ride the control that drops it back down at 18mph?

cheers,

Alan