Delay in engine picking up

jiginc

Discovery II 4.0 V8

Delay in engine picking up when accelerator pedal is pushed down hard.

In fact it some times it almost stalls. It’s on petrol and LPG. LPG amplifies the problem but it is certainly on petrol as well.

The car has had new spark plugs and leads plus two new coils all OEM.

Any help welcome.

Thanks

JIGINC

Guest noggy

could be something to do with the ECU as its not actually a physical connection between the accelerator and engine, its a electronic thingy.

im sure a big boy will come along and either agree with me, or kick me out!

could be something to do with the ECU as its not actually a physical connection between the accelerator and engine, its a electronic thingy.

im sure a big boy will come along and either agree with me, or kick me out!

Thanks noggy but on the V8 it's a cable connection not like a TD5

Hi I had a similar problem on my 1999 Disco Series 1 3.9V8 but it mostly only showed itself noticably on LPG

I replaced the Distributor cap and rotor arm with Genuine parts and swopped the BP6ES Plugs with genuine Champion OEM which I believe have a smaller gap as standard.

I also replaced the Leads with Magnacore Leads as I found the LPG was knackering the Normal leads quickly

A combination of these has pretty much cured this problem.

Another possibiilty is an air leak on the induction side causing a weak mixture untill enough fuel gets through to compensate.

Hope this gives you some ideas to check

Firemannotsam

Sorted.

The problem is the MAF.

A new MAF was tried to sort out a backfiring but the company supplied the wrong MAF. The one supplied was for a Mercedes not a d2.

Will now have to try and get it swapped for the right one. Thing is the old one seems to be OK.