Low coolant temperature

200tdi defender

I'm measuring the temperature of the water which goes to the heater matrix for the cab heater. Its running at about 60 degrees c.

Which way around the engine does the water flow ? front or rear of engine out to heater matrix ?

Any ideas how to increase the temperature. I measured 88 degrees at the stat.

Water flows from the rear of the block, into the heater matrix and then returns via the pipe on the LH (vehicle) side of the head.

60 degrees sounds very low. I've a temperature switch on the return line from the matrix and it switches on at 60 degrees after about 1 mile driving, around 1/3 on the temp gauge.

Water flows from the rear of the block, into the heater matrix and then returns via the pipe on the LH (vehicle) side of the head.

60 degrees sounds very low. I've a temperature switch on the return line from the matrix and it switches on at 60 degrees after about 1 mile driving, around 1/3 on the temp gauge.

Thanks for that !