Sitting down at rear to one side

3littledevils

Hi all

New here, so hopefully you will be able to help. I have a 1990 200 TDi with 191,000 ish on it, no history, but who would fake a mileage like that :o A few minor issues with it.

1. It appears to sit on one side at the rear (drivers), front appears ok, as no history, I suspect original shocks and springs, any other ideas???

2. Leak from return pipe on power steering under radiator housing, a common fault I believe. I have ordered a new return pipe, but is it a nightmare to fit or not too bad??

3. Central locking doesnt work (5 door) on either front doors, fuses under steering have been checked and all appear ok...

4. Passenger window doesnt work. I have tried other switches in the central console and it hasn't made any difference...

Hopefully that is all fro the mo (only owned it for a week though)

Many thanks

Andy

Hi all

New here, so hopefully you will be able to help. I have a 1990 200 TDi with 191,000 ish on it, no history, but who would fake a mileage like that :o A few minor issues with it.

1. It appears to sit on one side at the rear (drivers), front appears ok, as no history, I suspect original shocks and springs, any other ideas???

2. Leak from return pipe on power steering under radiator housing, a common fault I believe. I have ordered a new return pipe, but is it a nightmare to fit or not too bad??

3. Central locking doesnt work (5 door) on either front doors, fuses under steering have been checked and all appear ok...

4. Passenger window doesnt work. I have tried other switches in the central console and it hasn't made any difference...

Hopefully that is all fro the mo (only owned it for a week though)

Many thanks

Andy

Hi, as has already been said, old car, high milage best cure is to replace springs and shockers. I'd be tempted to do all round rather than just the fronts.

Couldn't tell you about the pipe work as haven't had the pleasure of needing to do that yet. The window issue could be the master unit which I believe is in the drivers door. This is probably you first point of call seen as though you have checked fuses. Also check the wire for breaks where it passes from door to body. I have seen many wires broken in this spot and it's normally only spotted once they have spent money on replacement parts!!!

The windo not working could be a number of things. It could be again broken wiring, broken motor, gunked up window runners which have jammed the window too tight for the motor to work. Again take panel off and have a good look inside to assess the state of play. Until you look inside, your gonna waste your time.

nothing too in depth there I know, but untill you inspect further all of the problems we will only be clutching at straws.

regards

Dave

Hi

Thank you for the responses.

I have bought a new set of springs and shocks for the rear, will try and fit them within the next couple of weekends.

The central locking, I have got a good second hand drivers door actuator to see if that is the cause.

I will investigate the window this weekend hopefully as I have to take the door card off, because I have bought a couple of latch springs for the front doors as I have to turn the key in the lock, at the same time as trying to open the handle or the button drops down a little.

The power steering pipe will also be done this weekend as it is leaving lots of little puddles on the road outside the house.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Jobs done so far.

Rear suspension, it appears to sit much better now, one of the nuts on the bottom of the n/s shock was a bit of a b****r but it came off in the end.

Power steering pipe done and no puddles underneath at all now.(wondering if it is a proper landy ;)

Central locking works now, someone had put a passenger actuator in the drivers door ( 2 wires), replaced with a 4 wire unit and all works fine.

Passenger window is the one that is now causing the issues. There is power going to the motor on both the up and down button presses (well the electrical tester lights up on the button presses) I have removed all the trim at the bottom of where the window sits to try and help the window up/ down but no difference. The piece of metal that the glass sits on is very rusty, would this make any difference?

I am also going to try and fit the little springs in the front door locks soon to save me having to constantly use the key to open the button properly.

Its amazing how many little things I am adding to the list.

Thanks

Andy