newbie advice

hi all. i am off to purchase my first landrover at the weekend ( hopefuly ) a 1991 110. i was hoping for a bit of advice as what i should look for/ avoid, pay special attention to. should i go for petrol or diesel. all advice greatly appreciated. many thanks.

hi all. i am off to purchase my first landrover at the weekend ( hopefuly ) a 1991 110. i was hoping for a bit of advice as what i should look for/ avoid, pay special attention to. should i go for petrol or diesel. all advice greatly appreciated. many thanks.

Welcome,

There are many things to look at but IMO most important one is a sound chassis (unless you plan to do a full rebuild).

1991 will probably be a 200Tdi engine, nice unit but if something is wrong with the engine parts might be difficult to get.

But best advice is to bring somebody with you who owns such a vehicle!

Cheers

Marco

Hi,

Check the bulkhead, the corner ends and under the winscreen by the wipers. I bought a 91 110 tdi and though I'd do a patch up job on these area, ended up fitting a TD5 bulkhead.. I learnt a lot about Landies by going in at the deep end...

Should have walked away and found a sounder one... but it was good fun in a weird sort of way to sit in the middle of a pile of bits thinking....

I can put this back together... Yes I'm sure I can. I think..!!!

Rear cross member too, and out riggers.... Yes! I replace these too....

Any question you have come back on here and ask, they are really helpfull guys...

Good luck..

db

The first 110's had the 2.25 engine in, then the 2.5 N/A, then the 2.5TD, then the 200TDi, etc, etc

The 2.25 and 2.5 engines are very reliable, but you won't get anywhere very quickly. The 2.5TD engine is prone to pistons cracking, so if your 110 has this one, then expect to have to replace it with something better. Look for rust - especially on the rear crossmember, dumb irons, bulkhead outriggers, behind the rear springs on the chassis face, bottom of the chassis anywhere, but particularly towards the rear between the wheels and the crossmember. Look for any modifications and that they are fitted and working properly. Corroded swivel balls/oil or grease running down the back of the hubs. Diff nose leaks, play in the prop U/J's and sliding joints. Check that it sits level and look for collapsed springs, worn shock rubbers - particularly on the bottom, signs that the chassis bump stops are there and haven't been hitting the axle. Worn TRE's and drop arm ball joint. Uneven tread wear on the tyres, worn hinges on the doors, corrosion around the windscreen corners by the door top hings.

Les.