2nd Battery in a 300TDI Disco

Mark

I want to fit a 2nd Battery to my 300TDI disco, but wondered if you chaps had any thoughts....

I am no stranger to fitting 2nd batteries, and had a very neat install in my 200TDI:

2ndbattery1.jpg

Ideally I want the battery in the 300 in the same place, but there are a number of things in the way:

The EGR switch - can be removed since I have binned the EGR valve

Some pipework and Electrics - not a huge issue

The cold air duct from the inner wing to the airbox - hmmm

Has anyone found a good way to move this ducting? The only way I can see is to fit a safari style snorkel which enters the airbox through the side (I believe) thus getting rid of the need for the duct. But this is quite an expensive way to go I feel...

I know some have mounted their battery in the back, but up front is the ideal place as it has short cable runs from the alternator, and eventual winch. However, any suggestions would be appreciated...

Ta

Mark

If it's a 300 tdi manual (non EDC) and no ABS you can fit the 200tdi air filter if you fancy.

You can use the same mounting idea from a Safari Snorkel and use a piece of pipe from the air filter box directly to the inner wing.

Another option is to replace the washer tank with a smaller one, relocate it and place the 2nd battery in it's place.

Mark,

I made myself a new airbox with the inlet coming straight through the inner wing as per the safari system. However, I have access to plastic welding equipment at work which made it easier.

I didn't have an un-molested standard airbox on mine as the previous owner had drilled a bunch of holes in the front of it :angry: . and then replaced it with a nasty K&N type thing that was hugely restrictive.

I'll get a photo later.

Cipx2

I believe Mark has a Auto with EDC (Japan spec), and I think he said he wanted to keep the battery at the front to keep cable runs as short as possible.

Indeed he said, but since he said "in the back" and not "at the back" I thought he means "in the back of the vehicle", not "at the back of the engine compartment". Most likely it's my English that failed me so I take the "washer tank relocation" suggestion back :).

As Pete pointed out, I have a 300 auto with EDC, although the EGR gubbins has mostly been removed now.

The washer tank relocation suggestion is welcome, what I don't what to do is to have to take out a second mortgage to pay for the cable runs for the winch from the back of the truck.... I will have an investigate around the washer tank area, as that may help bring the weight into the centre of the truck.

Pete, if you fancy making another airbox however... ;)

Cheers

Mark

My toy is a LHD so I wasn't too much interested in the RHD options.

But I dag a couple of links from the forum down under with pics for you (you'll need to register to see all the pics - most of them don't need that):

- http://www.aulro.com/afvb/technical-chatte...iscovery-2.html

- http://www.aulro.com/afvb/technical-chatte...co-service.html (for a Td5 but will give some ideas)

I can find some more if needed, I remember seeing more than that, just say so.

I've got a self assembly/mantec snorkel that has my second battery in the space behind the RH headlamp - its even got ABS!

Photos to follow if needed - its not pretty and may be a bit 'restrictive' - I'm still getting up 150 miles per 1/4 tank and it still pulls like a train so I don't think its 'restrictive', but hey, what do I know........

As promised here are some photo's of mine.

It takes a standard airfilter element.

Not the best shot but you can just see the vertical piece of metal that is the front mount for the original airbox.

Boostpipeandbreather008.jpg

Inner wing connection

Boostpipeandbreather009.jpg

Engine connection

Boostpipeandbreather010.jpg

I don't have the second battery installed yet but at least I have space for it. :P

To be honest I don't fancy making another as it is a lot more tricky to make than it looks.

Pete,

Thanks for the pics, are you sure I can't convince you??? ;) Did you have to cut the inner wing? Mine dosn't seem to have the large hole through like the 200 does...

I had a look at a td5 defender airbox today, and it seems to have al the holes in the right places, so I am going to try and see if I can make one of those fit....

Cheers

Mark