Split charge

If this is obvious and silly please forgive - thoroughly cream crackered but new battery box and wiring beginning to take shape. Two questions.

1. With Si's X-charge where is the easiest place to pick up the alternator cable with the orange wire? I am able to peek at the alternator but it is buried in turbo stuff so looks tricky to get in and take a feed without a lot of work. Is there an easier way?

2. I have an FIA isolator switch. The feed from the main battery to the starter, the glow plugs and my ancilliary fuse board all come off the switch. The feed for my fuse board off the second batter comes direct from that. Do I connect the relay directly to the two battery terminals, or do I go via the isolator switch? I think it should be direct but the brain refuses to function!!!

Thanks for any help.

Malcy

connect to the brown/yellow trace either at the multiplug near the brake servo or behind the instrument pack [the battery charge warning light wire]

connect the split charge relay direct to the battery +ve terminal.

I have found a thin brown wire with a yellow band around the wire (rather than the more usual yellow stripe along the wire)at the multiplug. Is that likely to be the one? If so looks easier than I imagined.

Thanks

at what location is this wire ?

brown/yellow trace regardless of how the 2nd tracer colour is lying, is the wire you need, check at the alternator connection & instrument pack warning light connection to ensure it's exactly the same colour layout as the section you found.

this 2 taken from my old TD original main wiring harness [the bit that fits on the bulkhead behind instrument pack] the multiplug that sits by the brake servo & one of the warning light connectors for the dash display.

the brown/yellow on this is lines along the wire rather than round it, mines a 1989 110CSW. so similar age to yours.

hope it helps. :i-m_so_happy:

post-20-1215261157_thumb.jpg

post-20-1215261204_thumb.jpg

Thanks Western - suspect I may be in wrong place. Multiplug alongside fuel filter. One image shows general view and other shows the brown with yellow band wire teased out into a loop. Sorry quality of shots but monsoon has broken again up here.

I may need to dig deeper. Have tried looking behind alternator and too many big pipes obscure view. If push comes to shove will remove intercooler pipes but was trying to see if there was an easier way.

post-3029-1215264005_thumb.jpg

post-3029-1215264014_thumb.jpg

Brilliant. Thanks for the confirmation western. Once the rain stops I will hook that in and then the job is complete.

Now all that is left is trying to fit the new Exmoor seat back on and remounting the seat.

I sense a beer coming on before nightfall!

Best wishes