3.5 V8 starting problem after engine going backwards

bloomers

Hi All...

This is my first post (so I must be really stuck :D )

I will try to explain this as best as I can, I will have to tell you the whole story so you get the gist of how it happened.

My engine is a 3.5 V8 with a flapper type efi system...

Today I went off roading and there I saw a lovely steep hill, done it many times before, nearly got to the top and you guessed it, The v8 ran out of puff...

So the engine stalls and off I go backwards, brakes didn't hold slipped down the hill, didn't have enough time to put it in reverse, so to slow up my descent I let the clutch up engine goes into reverse and I end up at the bottom in one piece...

Try to start the engine, fire's up for a second then dies fire's up again then dies, etc etc...

So up comes the bonnet & after a fudge around, I disconnect the air meter & try & start, then as if by magic it fires and runs, but very rich, but it runs & gets me home with a trail of black smoke behind & the fuel gauge going down at a rapid rate of knots :lol: ...

I try another air flow meter same thing, fires up stops, fires up stops, disconnect, runs but rich, next thing to try a spare ECU no difference...

So its a bit of head messier where do I go from here...?

Any ideas on the problem would be appreciated...

Thanks...

No I haven't tried that, good idea, Thanks...

I did try disconnecting the air pipe from the air flow meter on the plenum side & holding the flapper half open with a piece of rag while still wired to the ECU, it did run, as soon as I took the rag out it stalled...

Its a Funny one...!!!! :)

Its probably nothing to do with the AFM ………………. Sounds like the coolant sensor has either died or there is a wiring fault to it…………… probably the latter………. if the ECU sees the coolant sensor as an open circuit then it will think your coolant temp is at least -40C so it will run more than a little rich ………. if at all…….

Standing with the bonnet open, the coolant sensor is on the right front of the inlet manifold (by No 1 cylinder)……….. it is the blue topped sensor, the other is the thermotime switch which has a brown top.

:)

Ian

I've fixed it... :D

Had another fiddle, found it must have back fired when I went backwards down the hill, there's a bung on the inlet pipe to the plenum it popped it out :hysterical:

So it was drawing air in past the AFM... Hence it would run when I unplugged the AFM... Chucking in loads of fuel...