300 tdi engine and gearbox

I bought a 300 tdi engine from a rangerover for my defender build, i then got hold of an r380 gearbox to fit with it but the back plate on the engine is bigger than the gearbox bellhousing. The number on the engine backplate is HRC 2449 and the gearbox is HRC 2641, my question is, whats the simplest way round this problem, is it just a straight swop of either the backplate or the bellhousing? Cheers for any help.

The number on the engine backplate is HRC 2449 and the gearbox is HRC 2641

Those are blank casting numbers not LR part numbers.

RR 300Tdi has 2 versions of back plate/flywheel housing

ERR4722 for EDC fitted engines or ERR4723 non-EDC engine

Defender 300TDi has ERR4723

I can't tell from the parts cat, if there's any physical difference between the parts.

both engine blocks are the same so you can just bolt the right housing on.

Those are blank casting numbers not LR part numbers.

RR 300Tdi has 2 versions of back plate/flywheel housing

ERR4722 for EDC fitted engines or ERR4723 non-EDC engine

Defender 300TDi has ERR4723

I can't tell from the parts cat, if there's any physical difference between the parts.

both engine blocks are the same so you can just bolt the right housing on.

Cheers western, my own defender 300 tdi has the same number on the gearbox as the new one but different number on the backplate, so i'm thinking the best option is to change the backplate on the new engine, would i be right in thinking the reason RRs have 2 backplates is for auto or manual boxs, if so anybody out there putting an auto box in their defender as i have the backplate and flywheel.

R380 gearbox in 300Tdi RR & 300Tdi Defender use the same bell housing LR part FTC3921. & auto is different so Yes there is different backplates for auto & manual gearbox's.

hth :D

What about the Disco manual backplate, is that the same as the RR and defender :D i'm just thinking i'm more likely to come across a scrap disco engine, cheers mate :D