Disco II Oil Light

Cwoodell

I have an 03' Disco with 61k on it and it is in immaculate shape so anything that goes wrong tends to freak me out. The oil light comes on when idling in park or in gear (650 to 700 rpm) but goes off when I accelerate (any and all rpms). When I start it up cold it doesn't even come on until after I have driven a couple of miles and then stop. It isn't knocking, pinging or anything. Power is still 100% and it doesn't even burn any oil. It does have a couple of small leaks (which is normal) on both valve covers and close to the rear main but that's it. I'm at a loss here.....Does this thing have an "oil pressure sensor" that may be malfunctioning or do you think it could be the pump not efficiently pumping at idle. No service engine soon light either. Thanks for your input!

At that mileage the oil light should not come on at idle. Best to change the sensor, and if that doesn't fix it, change the pump. Or connect a pressure gauge and see what the pressure is - you should get 4 bar when the engine is running fast.

In fact at any mileage the oil light should not come on with a TD5.

Reading into it Jim I think we are probably talking about a V8 here though as is often the case I am guessing :rolleyes:

I have not had any problems with the sender in my V8 D2 but it would be the first thing to check, if that doesn't sort it then plumb in a pressure gauge somewhere and check the actual oil pressure to determine if you have a problem or not.

Reading into it Jim I think we are probably talking about a V8 here though as is often the case I am guessing :rolleyes:

I have not had any problems with the sender in my V8 D2 but it would be the first thing to check, if that doesn't sort it then plumb in a pressure gauge somewhere and check the actual oil pressure to determine if you have a problem or not.

Funny enough, i had this over the weekend, the oil light remained on, so i had a little panic, checked connection, wiring etc, nada, removed sender unit, cleaned it, tapped it with a hammer a few times, replaced it and hey presto!