Upgrade from 1994 Disco to 2002 model - what about my spares?

Andy J

Hi,

after maintaining my beloved 1994 Disco for many years and keeping it in sound mechanical order she is finally going to the post-MOT place in the sky. Well actually she is going to a bloke who keeps horses for all his field work (putting her out to pasture as it were :-))

I have my eye on a nice 2002 GS model and am likely to buy later this week.

However in my intreped endevours to keep her running all these years i have a healthy stock of parts that i presume are redundant - or are they?

I just wondered out of the list below, how many parts are still compatible with the new model - it would be useful for me to know but thought it might be an interesting question in general (I'll ask the one about how you get 100MPG by adding seawater later :-))

The List:

• Front Propshaft
    Front swivel kit (housing, swivel bearings, seals etc..)
    Full set of U-Joints for prop shafts
    A number of poly bushes, including panhard rod (and bolts)
    A-Frame ball joint
    Brake bads
    Front brake discs
    Rear springs
    2x spare turret rings for front shocks (the studs always broke on the old ones)

I think there are a few more bits n bobs but you get the idea. She honestly was in good health, i sometimes just ordered more than i needed or never quite got round to doing ALL the jobs i meant to at the time.

If none of this lot are compatible with new model of Disco then im open to offers...

Thanks folks

Andy

The Discovery 2 differs in nearly every way except the rear door from the earlier cars. I'm sure an Adult will be along soon, but as far as I know:

Front Propshaft - no the D2 has a double carden one

Front swivel kit (housing, swivel bearings, seals etc..) - no the D2 has an open knuckle arrangement with no swivels

Full set of U-Joints for prop shafts - no the D2 props have non-rebuildable U-joints

A number of poly bushes, including panhard rod (and bolts) - most or all of the bushes are different

A-Frame ball joint - no the D2 has no A-frame

Brake bads - don't know?

Front brake discs - don't know?

Rear springs - if the GS has 7 seats it will have air suspension

2x spare turret rings for front shocks (the studs always broke on the old ones) - not sure, but the D2 has different top shock mounts

Brake discs and pads are completely different as well.

The stoopid plastic plugs as used on the 300Tdi engine have resurfaced on the DII as diff filler plugs. We throw them away as well :)

Thanks guys- if anyone wants the above spares then you can have - preferrably take all and all you need to pay is collection. I can be more definitive about the list if required, but a random assortment of replacement Disco 1 parts to be had. Need to make room for the D2 parts

Im surprised by some of the major changes between D1 and D2 e.g. swivels and propshaft etc...thats progress i suppose.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks guys- if anyone wants the above spares then you can have - preferrably take all and all you need to pay is collection. I can be more definitive about the list if required, but a random assortment of replacement Disco 1 parts to be had. Need to make room for the D2 parts

Im surprised by some of the major changes between D1 and D2 e.g. swivels and propshaft etc...thats progress i suppose.

Cheers

Andy

Parts now gone to a quick off the mark forum member!

:-)

Cheers

Andy