Speakers in a truck cab soft top

Hi chaps.

A couple of years ago I took the roof off the old girl and put on a Trakkers mohair truck cab roof.

Taking the roof off also meant I lost the speakers and aerial - a little rubber aerial was mounted on the roof.

Its not a big deal but I think as it looks like I might have finally found a solution for replacing the interior light I should think about sorting out the speakers and an aerial.

So here's me being awkward.

I don't want speakers mounted down near my knees. I'm tall and have difficulty getting comfortable as it is - mainly due to the handbrake lock I've got fitted, so I can do without something making my right knee uncomfortable too!

I'm thinking about CB external monitor speakers mounted on the small lip behind the seats. They are bracket mounted and self contained so they should be tough to withstand things being dropped behind the seats and hitting them. But I'm not sure if they are powerful enough.

What do all the other guys with canvas tops do? Is there some way of fitting them above your head - to the hood sticks maybe?

Also an aerial. I don't want to drill a dirty great hole in the wing top so where else could I mount a radio aerial? It will need grounding I guess - is this just something attached to earth or something more substantial - or am I confusing CB aerials with radio aerials?

Thanks for your help :)

Ian

obviously its not a V8, as that would be all the music you need.

Some have speakers in the sides of a cubby box if you have one of those. Do you have a rollbar, internal or external, an external bar would be a good mounting place for an aerial, an internal one could be a place to mount speakers.

obviously its not a V8, as that would be all the music you need.

This isn't a V8 no Paul, but my TVR Griffith is ;):P

Although I have a cubby box its one of the fancy metal ones so I don't really want to go chopping into the sides of that, and I haven't any form of roll bar, just the first and second hood stick that's needed for the Trakkers hood.

Mind you, I did take some photos of a nice roll bar on a stand at Billing at the weekend which would very nicely replace stick number 2. Perhaps I should have that made and get some mounting points put on for speakers.

Any suggestions for pod type speakers - or are the CB type ones usable? they will need to be tough and perhaps waterproof because its possible they could get wet if I ever wind the roof back - but to be honest thats unlikely because if the weather is that great I'll probably be out in the Griff.

I've just spotted your profile Paul.

I was in Nelson in January, sailing with friends around the Malborough Sound.

I've got a photo of a Land Rover parked at the sailing club there, a Series if memory serves me right. Its not yours is it?

Hi Ian

You can get a dual purpose arial one which will do a CB & a sterio off the same arial if you have a CB. As for speakers you could consider Marrine speakers thay are water proof so you can mount them anywhere so might increase your mounting options. Difficult as its hard enough to find places to mount decent size speakers in a hard top good luck.

I've just spotted your profile Paul.

I was in Nelson in January, sailing with friends around the Malborough Sound.

I've got a photo of a Land Rover parked at the sailing club there, a Series if memory serves me right. Its not yours is it?

Hi Ian, not likely mine, I am in Takaka mostly, mines a 110 and a couple of RRs at present.

Sailing in the sounds for xmas and wandering around Billing, lucky you.