Air Con leaking from under passenger side dash

Dr W

Hi

As title says when I switch on the air con in my 91 Classic I get a drip every few seconds from underneath the dash.

Before I start trying to remove the dash I was wondering whether anyone had come across this problem (I know it's a problem on the P38 which requires a fair bit of work) and whether it was condensation as it was on really hot days that it happend.

Does the system take the water from the normal cooling system? It just smells like normal water.

Hope someone can help point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Hi

As title says when I switch on the air con in my 91 Classic I get a drip every few seconds from underneath the dash.

Before I start trying to remove the dash I was wondering whether anyone had come across this problem (I know it's a problem on the P38 which requires a fair bit of work) and whether it was condensation as it was on really hot days that it happend.

Does the system take the water from the normal cooling system? It just smells like normal water.

Hope someone can help point me in the right direction.

Cheers

I assume it is condensation since you say it was a very hot day, there should be a small plastic (approx 4 mm ID) pipe/tube drain on the passenger side that goes through a hole on the floor and lets the condensate out, hense the pool of water usually left on the driveway.

This pipe can become blocked with dirt or mud of the road, first identify where it goes through the floor pan then get under the vehicle and clean out the pipe this should fix the problem.

Good luck hope this helps.

Mine was dripping at the weekend. The pipe was kinked just before it went through the bulkhead and the condensation was backed up.

Untwisted the kink and about a litre emerged from the bulkhead! Great british design strikes again!

Thanks for the info guys,

So to get this straight, I should remove the carpet from passenger side and should be able to see 1 or 2 pipes running down from the dash to a hole in the floor pan and these should be checked for kinks and blockages.

I'll have a look this weekend

Cheers

Thanks for the info guys,

So to get this straight, I should remove the carpet from passenger side and should be able to see 1 or 2 pipes running down from the dash to a hole in the floor pan and these should be checked for kinks and blockages.

I'll have a look this weekend

Cheers

Mine is earlier so may not be the same but my drain pipes run forward from the bottom of the A/C unit and through the engine bulkhead to emerge under the front wing. The later ones may go down through the floor.

Steve

Mine is earlier so may not be the same but my drain pipes run forward from the bottom of the A/C unit and through the engine bulkhead to emerge under the front wing. The later ones may go down through the floor.

Steve

And mine. You may not need to lift any carpets. There's 3 pipes on mine, 2 really thick rubbery ones together and one little plastic one which is the drain. Type of plastic used makes it prone to kinks.

David