Blue Smoke.

I have a 1989 90 2.5td and am having problems with the fuel pump leaking from underneath and the engine seems to be hunting or missing on tick over also when its on tick over it seems to puff out blue smoke intermittently but when i am driving it seems to be clear of smoke until i stop for a short while.

Could it be the pump causing the problem or maybe the injectors. any idea's appreciated.

perhaps some oil getting into the cylinders?

On my old Series 3, if I had to wait at junctions and then pulled away I left behind a huge cloud of smoke but under normal driving everything was fine. To fix it I took the head off and fitted a new gasket as in this instance it had just started to go and was letting oil get into the combustion chamber and.. puff ... smokey and the landy was travelling around choking people.. oops.. . Seemed to solve the problem though.

Not sure if its the same for you though?

perhaps some oil getting into the cylinders?

On my old Series 3, if I had to wait at junctions and then pulled away I left behind a huge cloud of smoke but under normal driving everything was fine. To fix it I took the head off and fitted a new gasket as in this instance it had just started to go and was letting oil get into the combustion chamber and.. puff ... smokey and the landy was travelling around choking people.. oops.. . Seemed to solve the problem though.

Not sure if its the same for you though?

Thanks for that but I have just changed the head gasket but the problem still persists