Challenge events with a 110” Defender, Possible???

Tom.H

Hi

I’ve been doing a bit research on unimog 404’s. Sadly they only made 404s with petrol engines (Some diesels were made but they are very rare). Therefore I Think it would be more likely that I would end up with 2.7 liter petrol which should just about have enough power.

Even though people sometimes talk about unimogs being stupidly expensive I don’t think one would end up being as much the other project I was planning (using the 110). Smaller mogs such as the U900/406 can be unstable but because of the length of a 404 I still think, even with the engine right at the front you would have to go down a pretty steep hill to roll/flip it.

Because there classed as A.G vehicles they don’t have to go through Mot’s as well as an SVA. So you can bobtail / cut chassis away and have little if any problems with it on the road. 404’s are also rated below 3.5 tons meaning it’s basically classed as a normal car and won’t need a special over 3.5 ton license. I also think you have to pay extra road tax if your vehicle ways over 3.5 so I shouldn’t have that problem.

So far everything seems pretty good

Hi

I’ve been doing a bit research on unimog 404’s. Sadly they only made 404s with petrol engines (Some diesels were made but they are very rare). Therefore I Think it would be more likely that I would end up with 2.7 liter petrol which should just about have enough power.

Even though people sometimes talk about unimogs being stupidly expensive I don’t think one would end up being as much the other project I was planning (using the 110). Smaller mogs such as the U900/406 can be unstable but because of the length of a 404 I still think, even with the engine right at the front you would have to go down a pretty steep hill to roll/flip it.

Because there classed as A.G vehicles they don’t have to go through Mot’s as well as an SVA. So you can bobtail / cut chassis away and have little if any problems with it on the road. 404’s are also rated below 3.5 tons meaning it’s basically classed as a normal car and won’t need a special over 3.5 ton license. I also think you have to pay extra road tax if your vehicle ways over 3.5 so I shouldn’t have that problem.

So far everything seems pretty good

Most 404s came with the2.2 petrol, some radio bodies ones came with the 28 m180 engine but these are like rocking horse poo, No 404s were factory fitted with diesels, 411s which use the same gearbox came with a diesel but these put out about 34hp.

421s use a modified version of the 404s gearbox these were fitted with reasonable diesels, if you hunt really hard you might be able to find the box out of an early 406 which will mate up to the 404 chassis and torque tubes and allow you to run any of mercs loverly big diesels

Thanks for all your help

Tyres:

You can never have too much axel ground clearance :P:P No the main reason I have decided to go for such large tyres is to raise the gear ration, which is needed as mog axels have a very low ratio (overall of 7.56). So by going for 39.5 tyres (thinking ever pitbull rockers or super swamper tsl’s) I’ve worked out that I should be able to go about 40m.p.h with the standard transfer box, I think.

Width:

The truck will be just less than 90” wide as Steve (the owner of the blue 90) went for slightly too offset wheels but yes it is going to be quite a wide truck

Axels:

Straightforward Supplies has been taken over by Portal Rover. He seems a very nice guy but sadly the prices have not decreased, it anything they may have actually gone up instead but then he supplies the axels bolt on and they are reconditioned.

Tom

Straight forwad supplies has NOT been taken over. PORTALROVER IS AN INDEPENDANT COMPANY - operating in the North of SCOTLAND - not Wales.

Please view my web - www.portalrover.co.uk - Here you will also se some picture of a 110 being bob tailed - drastic I know, but I hope it will get rid of some of my hang-ups !

Cheers, Hughie