S11A Gearbox problem

Bigant

Dear All

I have a strange squeeling noise eminating from the gearbox when I depress the clutch pedal, which goes as soon as I lift off the pedal, I am guessing I have a thrust bearing problem?

Has anyone else had this problem was the cure as simple as chnaging the thrust bearing or is there another cause for this strange noise?

Cheers

Bigant

Have you recently removed and refitted either the engine or gearbox ? A slightly buckled clutch plate, damaged when having difficulties refitting the gearbox to the engine can cause a similar noise to a knackered thrust bearing. The reason I suggest this is that unlike later series, the clutch release bearing on a series 2a, due to being permanently lubricated from the gearbox oil is generally very long lived and trouble free.

Bill.

• 1 month later...
Have you recently removed and refitted either the engine or gearbox ? A slightly buckled clutch plate, damaged when having difficulties refitting the gearbox to the engine can cause a similar noise to a knackered thrust bearing. The reason I suggest this is that unlike later series, the clutch release bearing on a series 2a, due to being permanently lubricated from the gearbox oil is generally very long lived and trouble free.

Bill.

HI Bill

Thanks for the advice, sorry its taken a long time to reply but I have been abroad for a little while.

Funnily enough both the gearbox and the engine have been in and out a few times due#ring the rebuild, I think I will change both the thrust bearing and the clutch bits as this is the last time they will be coming out for a while, or so I hope.

Thanks again

Bigant

It sounds like a typical thrust bearing noise to me. When you take it off, it will feel rough/dry when you spin it by hand.

Les.

HI Les

Sorry its taken a while to respond, I wil be changing the thrust bearing next week, and following the advice from Bill I will also be changing the clutch bits and pieces as well as I don't want to have to pull the gearbox out again.

Thanks again

Bigant