Advice appreciated and hi to all

jonah885

Hi all just introduce myself, my name is paul but ive been know as jonah since 3 yrs old, im married 2 children and live in Birmingham, i have driven a rovr 75 2.5 v6 for the last 3 years and have always had a soft spot for the td5, so i am now looking to make my purchase. Any info on what to look for etc would be nice as i can see you all have a lot of experience with this baby's. Also any recommended garages around the midlands area if poss.

Many Thanks

There was a thread not so long ago about this... Best option is to try the search facility first. You may find that using Google is a bit easier, but make sure you prefix your search wording with LR4x4...

In the mean time, I'll have a quick look...

Edit cos I'm rude and forgot to say Hi and welcome!!

HTH

Adrian

To be honest, I bought mine as basic as I could find with a couple of added comforts. It's an S spec, plus climate control and a 6CD changer. There is less to go wrong that way!!

I've had no trouble with it. It's an 02 car with 50k on the clock (16k when I bought it 3 years old) and has never put a foot wrong. The only things I have had to do are normal service items.

Others haven't faired so well, though, I expect. There are all kinds of nasty stories about them, but we are enthusiasts, so this doesn't put us off!! :huh:

They are cheap as chips now, too!! I had mine valued as a part exchange at the weekend (out of interest) - £3700 is what they offered me. Less than a year ago, the same garage offered me £6200......

Hi,

I just bought myself an 04 plate with 45k on the clock. It is a Landmark edition (kind of top of the range i think) and has all the refinements - cd-changer, great sound system, air con, electric sunroofs, mirrors and heated windscreen (joy!)

Runs like a dream, get around 34mpg and is a really comfy car to be in. Granted, the more complex items such as EAS installed, the more costly the fixes will be. for this reason some prefer to buy more standard models (coils etc.). Also you tend to get the 18" alloys on the Landmark model, which may be comparatively expensive with standard sizes.

In terms of what to look for, based on my experience with previous models, i was particularly interested in

- checking for backlash in the drive system/suspension. Anything significant shouldnt be there on a low mileage car and will be an irritation to you

- check the gearbox hasnt been mashed by (ahem) a school run driver. I.e. you can change up and down throughout the range without difficulty

- Check the high - lo gearbox works

- look for oil leaks underneath

- lift the dipstick and check the engine oil isnt milky etc (sign of a blown gasket)

- If you get a hi spec model, check all electrical items (all windows, hill descent, off road, air con, sunroofs, mirrors etc)

- Make sure you get one with 2 keys AND all the LR security codes incase you ever have to disconnect the battery. Will cost you around £150 to replace all this plus the inconvenience of a visit to a dealer

They really are a bargin at the moment - hold out for a good one! The only problems (minor) i have had with mine are an intermittent problem with the light bulb on the clock and having to replace the passenger side window mechanism.

Good luck

Andy