Advice on fitting a bulkhead

Im in the process of fitting a new (secondhand) bulkhead to my 200tdi 90. The new bulkhead is in and is currently attached by the two long bolts on the end of either door pillar. I have loosely put the screen and roof back on and they all fit fine, however i cant get my doors to fit.

I have put the doors on but they are currently sagging by a good few inches even after i have ajusted the hinges. If i "lift" them by grabbing the handle i can just about make them catch.

Where have i gone wrong? How can i align my doors. This has got me stumpted so any advice is apreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Guest diesel_jim

You need to measure the door gap between the bottom of the bulkhead and the bottom of the tub (where the door shuts into) and the the top of the bulkhead (by the top hinge) and the opposite side, these measurements should be the same top & bottom, so you know the hold for the door is "square"

you adjust the gap by the brackets on the underside of the bulkhead... the bolts come through the footwell and the brackets themselves bolt onto the chassis rails, there's some shims under them, and the bolt holes are slightly elongated, so there's plenty of scope for "adjustment", either more or less shims and adjusting the brackets, but to be honest , if you left the brackets in place, or the new bulkhead came with the brackets still in the original place, you won't have to fiddle that much.

The gap is about 858mm (i measured a new rover before i fitted the bulkhead on my project110, and it varied between 858 and 855mm)

post-130-1221060011_thumb.jpg

Omce you've done that, fit the doors but leave the bolts on the hinges slightly loose. close the door so it latches properly, then tighten up the bolts on the hinges (the outside ones, as there's loads of room to move them about) and if you're careful, with the aid of another pair of hands, you can open the door, but support its weight at the lock end, and nip up the bolts that hold the hinges to the door.

that should do the trick.

of course... i'm assuming your hinges arn't knackered and have loads of slop in them.

Thankyou for such a indepth reply diesel jim. I have since measure my gaps and they come out at 880mm. This is clearly way off. I have loosely fitted the other brackets (attached to the footwell). My problem is now;

- To get inlign with the 855 measurements the bulkhead needs to go towards the rear tub, however, the rear bulkhead is already touching the sills which attach to the seat box.

- If i was to somehow move the bulkhead back this would force the doors down and make my problems of sagging doors even worse (the hinges are a little sloppy but were fine prebulkhead change)

So whats the best course of action to take?