Gearbox reverse-gear failure

Debs.

My 1983 Landy Series III`s gearbox has gone wrong; the reverse gear now grinds, slips and will not engage......it`s been very-noisy (only) whilst in reverse for a long time previous to this failure, so not entirely a surprise.

Despite it`s age and the fact I only use Landy off road (around the farm) I`d really like to have a go at repairing it.

I have a couple of general Q`s:

Is this a common fault?.....is the gearbox likely to be 'home' repairable and if so is it a difficult job?

Being on a tight budget; is there a 'rebuild kit' available or might a S/H (scrapyard/e.bay) gearbox be easier/cheaper.

Thanks in advance, any advice very-welcomed. ;)

YEs its Diyable. These boxes arent hard to rebuild - just get yourself a manual.

I've done loads of them.........

Parts are available individually from good landrover parts places, but watch the qulaity as many aftermarket parts are made out of chocloate!

Also check which suffix your box is as some parts are hard to come by for the suffix D boxes especially. Also the parts book in a number of instances is wrong!

I wouldnt bother with a "rebuild kit" I'd just change what is broken and needs fixing. I say again though watch the quality of the parts!

Jon

Debs,

I have a spare gearbox that could be up for grabs soonish, we will be moving to Treuddyn at the end of October, and so long as my beast makes the journey from Kent to Flintshire, then I will get rid of the box when I get up there.

Let me know how you get on.....

PS, Any jobs going at Boughton?? Forklift, van driving, HGV etc......