1983 RR in Costa Rica up-date!

RR370

Just an up-date of the rebuild of my 4 door 83 RR based in Costa Rica. I fitted a US 91 steering box which required some pipe work redesign but now it works. I modified the seals which now don't leak...A first? Then there were all the silly electrical issues and sticking doors. Fitted some rally spot lamps. Fixed the front crank seal oil leak.

The swivel pins leaked bad. So as suggested here I checked for play and they seemed fine. I reviewed the removal proceedure and figured just remove the caliper and pipes then un-doing the 5 axle end bolts and pulling out the half shaft would be quick way to change the seal. Took me around 45mins a side. Now no leaks.

Engine runs good now with added K+N filters. I wanted to change the front lenses but the US lenses are different and all amber. So I'm taking the lenses home to modify them to accept the US amber units.

Oh I bought some 245/70-16 tyes which was better than the Kojak ones I had on.

Next month it should be ready to do the Costa Rica MOT type test.

Anyone know if an 91 steering wheel will fit a 83?

Yeah for a laugh I painted the whole of the roof with the union jack!!!

Yes that's mine!! except mine is falling apart and is very dirty. The other one looks like the US version minus the cruise controls. Actually I prefer one like in your photo.

Thanks for the information.

Yes that's mine!! except mine is falling apart and is very dirty. The other one looks like the US version minus the cruise controls. Actually I prefer one like in your photo.

Thanks for the information.

the top picture is/was my 1989 110's original leather covered wheel, I changed it to the lower picture which is the later Defender XS leather wheel with a old Range Rover centre pad, simply becuase I didn't like the big bump Defender centre pad although I did have the bump pad for a few weeks.

a mate fitted a ex- RR 2 spoke wheel with cruise buttons to his 90, which looked just as good. the 4 spoke can be found on ebay quite often, just search on there for land rover steering wheel, happy shopping.