Windshield wiper issues cause mental stress

jpcook

1991 RRC I'm trying to keep alive without killing me.

Wiper (wind screen) motor works only in the top (high speed) position and will not park.

Wiper washer works in all positions but at no time triggers the wiper motor.

The manual describes a Park switch driven by wiper motor.

Could it be the relay or is it the motor?

Thank you :blink:

check out my thread about range rover wiper wiring because someone very helpfully posted a wiring diagram up. It could be the low speed brush or winding in the motor but could be a switch (stalk) problem, got a test lamp? The park and intermittent functions also use the low speed part of the motor.

I had this wipers worked fine in the summer, but when damp and cold would only work on full speed and then sometimes would continue to work on normal / intermittent but could also carp out at any time.

I took the motor out and gave it a good soaking in WD and put it back.

Cured the problem for a while but it came back.... :(

Scrapped the Bishtail soon after :(:(:(:( but I suspect a new wiper motor is the only solution.

A friend removed the steering wheel and column switch, took it to his house, cleaned it, blessed it as "healed". Still didn't work. He went home.

I took out and swapped the relay for another of like kind. No joy.

Has to be the motor.

Removed the hood, windshield cowling, but one bolt was stripped. Surgically removed the nut from cowling with a bigh speed grinder.

Unloaded the hinges, removed the motor, tore it apart. cleaned the brushes etc. Assembled it all and tested the motor via jumpers...works fine. Plug it in bolt it down put it all back together...no change.

Ya ya ya .. you guessed it. After 60 hours, 10 ml of blood, and a few words, I jumpered the plug for the switch at the steering column... every thing works if it's jumpered. My buddy, when I find him, I'm going to .... it's the switch on the column.

This is a prime example of ready-shoot-aim. It was very helpful though to read your posts particullary about the park function etc going through the relay.

Thank you very much for your responses and the help.