*sigh* more trouble with the V8

kevinr

Well, following from my previous problem with the car juddering as I accelerated (my initial thought was the AFM was at fault as when I disconnected it, and reconnected, the car worked fine) This problem has come back, however, an ex AA mecahnic friend of mine had a look and told me that the HT lead on plug 1 has worn on the engne and has a hole in it..so I assume this is the cause of that problem..the spark just earths itself before reaching the plug..will electrical tape provide a temporary fix for this until I get paid on Monday and can get replacements?

Also, for the last 2 days, my altenator has been smoking (though only on short journies, not long ones) there is a burning smell and the instrument panel has gotten dimmer. Today the rev counter stopped working, and when I got home, switched off the ignition, and tried to restart, the car struggled, the headlights dimmed right down...I presume this is a replacement job, or could it just be a xase of replacing the bushes?

If I have to replace the altenator, does it have to be a like for like model, or can I put in any one (that is for the car) as long as the amp rating is the same?..I ask because the model in my car happens to be the most expensive one paddocks do, and I'm not going to be able to afford this just yet.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Kev

Sounds a lot like you've got a short circuit on the main battery circuit - I'd disconnect the battery and then chase all the main wiring (from battery + to starter to alternator) to check it's not chafed / melted. It could be the alternator, but I'd check the battery cables and the commoning stud they bolt to (either on the bulkhead, chassis rail or inner wing, I forget :unsure: ) before you have a burning car on your hands :o

This could also cause your hesitation problem.

Sparky tape round the HT lead should be OK for a bit, I'd wrap a few layers round it as high voltage can jump a fair way.

checked the cabling, and I can't find anything untoward, but then there is all this hardened sheath over it which I can't remove without destroying it.

I assume, if it was an earth fault, then the car would just simply fail to start, and if it was just a faulty alternator, then the car would not hesitate (which seems to be cured again today ?? ) and the battery would just drain.

Just had the alternator checked, and it's deffinatley U/S, I can get it repaired, but they wont have the part til tuesday. This solves the problem of the alternator overheating...just need to solve the hesitation problem..if it returns again.