pollen filter - to have or not ?

redisthebest

Just got my first freelander 2 weeks ago and i love it - its a 99 V 1.8 xei 3dr. I thought i would give it my own little service and so ordered a kit offthe internet for air, oil, pollen filters and plugs. having spent 2 hours finding the sump and oil filter (and the undercarriage falling on my head the oil and filter are changes as is the air filter.

so apart from the spark plugs which i keep staring at wondering how to change (looks complicated under the bonnet in tems of removing the fuel injection stuff) i cant find the pollen filter and wonder if i actually have one as i have air con ?

anyone know ?

as you ave probably guessed i am no mechanic but i like to have ago !!

cheers

For the spark plugs remove the black cover over the engine. IIRC it is held on with two small bolts/set screws and you will have to remove the oil filler cap as well to remove the cover.

The pollen filter is behind the glovebox.....stand on your head in the passenger footwell. You will have one whether you have air con or not.

HTH

Spark plugs - remove rocker cover centre strip (2 x phillips screws) they should be captive.

med_gallery_2_435_1466506.jpg

med_gallery_2_435_1165672.jpg

The strip will lift off and the plug caps can be seen.

med_gallery_2_435_1419490.jpg

Careful how you pull them off - they can break quite easily. There's no need to keep the plug leads in order - they are the right length to reach their respective plugs.

14mm spark plug socket is needed and they are deep set, so an extension bar is needed.

med_gallery_2_435_75509.jpg

Les.