TD5 Auto oil change question!

therealboss

I have a TD5 Auto (2001), I think it changes up a little late and even worse when she is cold. So I thought maybe an oil change could be due as she has now done 80,000 miles.

I have just bought a new filter for the gearbox along with the 'O' Rings and sump seal, but my question is now, what is the best oil I can put in it.

I plan to drain what I can now when I change the filter in the box and then fill her with new oil and after 3 or 400 miles drain the box and fill her again. As I understand it doing this will change about 75% of the oil. I also plan on removing the gearbox oil cooler and flushing it out.

Is there anything else I should do when changing the auto gearbox oil and filter?

ATF Dexron 3, or the oil that's stated in the owners handbook, also make sure no dust/dirt gets in to the system so don't do the job in the street.

Have a look at Ashcrofts web site Q&As on warnings about changing auto's ATF before u start.

Dexron III fully synthetic. I wouldn't try to remove the oil cooler as the pipe connections are very fragile and you may end up breaking something.

Be very careful with the sump gasket to make sure it is not leaking at all on reassembly. Of course it is rather difficult to check the level after the LR cost accountants deleted the dipstick. :(