Brake Disc Removal

michael100

Hello,

Anyone got any ideas how to separate the brake disc from the hub ( 300 tdi ) ? I have the hub and disc removed and also removed the 14mm splined bolts ( 5 ) but the hub and disc will not split. I understand the rust, grime etc will be holding it together but just how much force is required to separate them ? Many Thanx.

I have to say that I have always used a press for removal and replacing. When removing once the disc has started to move (couple of mm) they then usually fall off.

No reason why you couldn't use blocks of wood in appropriate places and a hammer to remove. Then clean up hub and use the bolts to pull the new disc on. Personally I never liked that idea for replacement and have only used the bolts as a guide when pressing on a new disc.

Word of warning for either method. Rest the hub in it's centre only and not the wheel studs or you could push one of the studs back thru the hub, they are only a splined press fit.

HTH

Cheers Andy for the fast reply, I just sprayed the joint with our friend WD40 and had a coffee and then used a little more force then before and voila, they separated easily enough. I am quite heavy handed at times and thought at first I was maybe bashing the hell out it but on second thoughts, maybe I was too " lenient " with it but it is all back together and working fine, thanx again

Hi Jim,

Yeah you are absolutely correct, if I was trying to keep the brake discs then I would have problems,.........i smashed 3/4 of the actual braking disc in the process of trying to separate the disc / hub ! Like you said though, there would be no other reason to split them other than to renew, thanx again.

p.s. The Haynes Manual makes the disc change daunting, just like every other problem that I encounter, I prefer to come here and see how its really done, cheers all !

Michael, when I started there was nothing better than the Haynes manual, as the RAVEs were not really available. They are better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but LR4X4 is much better. Anything you want to do, look in the Tech Archive and you should find it. If not, just ask. We do consider ourselves the best LR Technical forum with reason :)