Discovery v8 oil non return Valve??

gkm24

I have a 96 v8i auto Discovery 3.9 which starts and runs great with loads of power and very clean engine internally BUT (and theres always a but) on initial start and subsequent starts after about 1 hour standing, the hydraulic tappets rattle for a few seconds and then are perfectly silent. As I say, on the whole the engine runs very very sweet and I cant fault it. I can understand 1 tappet rattling or maybe 2 but its the whole lot rattling. I thought it could poss be oil pump but the oil pressure is good and even so the oil should not drain back out of the tappets, so i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a non return valve in the oilway in the engine. I have looked at the engine in the manual and cant see one or it is not shown. Any ideas? I was thinking about changing the cam over winter for one with a bit more torque and then also the oil pump anyway. Any help greatly appreciated,

99% sure its your oil :)

What oil is in the engine at the moment ?

And, in answer in advance to your answer - drain oil, fit new filter and use valvoline VR1 racing oil :)

I have evn converted Mr Bull Bar Cowboy to the stuff :lol: (:P Ian)

Nige

I am currently useing GM 10-40w semi synthetic oil. Is there a specific oil filter I should use? I think the one on it is a coopers filter. Is it critical to fit a genuine one? thanks for the reply.

I am currently useing GM 10-40w semi synthetic oil. Is there a specific oil filter I should use? I think the one on it is a coopers filter. Is it critical to fit a genuine one? thanks for the reply.

I tned to be paraniod after a mates racer engine was wrecked by a cheap oil filter imploding and jaming up the flows, for the sake of a few quid I use genuine, or if I can't get that then something decent FRAM maybe.... but NOTHING in a white box that nobody wnats to own up to making :blink:

Chnage the oil and filter from what you have said above VR1 and a filter will sort yours out :)

Report back :)

Nige

I tned to be paraniod after a mates racer engine was wrecked by a cheap oil filter imploding and jaming up the flows, for the sake of a few quid I use genuine, or if I can't get that then something decent FRAM maybe.... but NOTHING in a white box that nobody wnats to own up to making :blink:

Chnage the oil and filter from what you have said above VR1 and a filter will sort yours out :)

Report back :)

Nige

I will let you know.