Discovery 300tdi

Guest MJG

Can somebody point me in the right direction for getting together a list of common faults on the above vehicle. I used to have one of these vehicles I know (but it was a long long time ago) but I can't remeber all the issues to watch out for when buying one.

(BTW it's not for me but my daughter's boyfriend has decided he wants one but can't stretch to a td5 Series II and one around ten years old is about as new as he is going to be able to get).

I remember the timing belt issue (but reckon that should have been sorted on a vehicle of the age/mileage he will be looking at).

The curly dash of course will likely be an isssue and will either have been replaced a long time ago under the scheme LR opertated at the time or fixed with one of those kits, or it may of course still be 'curly' in which case it will be obvious.

The sodden/?? rotten load space floor will be checked for as will all the carpets in the quest for sussing out how 'leaky' it is.

He's after a five door so the it will be intereting to see how/if the rusty seam at the rear door latches have been either bodged or a reasonable attempt made at properly fixing them

Can't remeber the specifics of the manual gear box isues (or how to check for them) so need help here folks, plus anything else you folks can point me in the direction of.

Of course at this age/mileage he is not going to get anything anywhere near perfect but it would be good to try and get one with all the main/big issues either sorted or identified for us to use as a means to get the price down.

Many thanks folks.

Can somebody point me in the right direction for getting together a list of common faults on the above vehicle. I used to have one of these vehicles I know (but it was a long long time ago) but I can't remeber all the issues to watch out for when buying one.

(BTW it's not for me but my daughter's boyfriend has decided he wants one but can't stretch to a td5 Series II and one around ten years old is about as new as he is going to be able to get).

I remember the timing belt issue (but reckon that should have been sorted on a vehicle of the age/mileage he will be looking at).

The curly dash of course will likely be an isssue and will either have been replaced a long time ago under the scheme LR opertated at the time or fixed with one of those kits, or it may of course still be 'curly' in which case it will be obvious.

The sodden/?? rotten load space floor will be checked for as will all the carpets in the quest for sussing out how 'leaky' it is.

He's after a five door so the it will be intereting to see how/if the rusty seam at the rear door latches have been either bodged or a reasonable attempt made at properly fixing them

Can't remeber the specifics of the manual gear box isues (or how to check for them) so need help here folks, plus anything else you folks can point me in the direction of.

Of course at this age/mileage he is not going to get anything anywhere near perfect but it would be good to try and get one with all the main/big issues either sorted or identified for us to use as a means to get the price down.

Many thanks folks.

Further to what you have mentioned..

1st to 2nd gear change can be a bit stiff when not warmed up, or if the gear change is rushed.

If it has sunroof's check them thoroughly as they leak like a leaky thing. (As do the alpine lights so check them too!)

If the water is getting to the rear floor, it is probably coming from the taped joint where the roof meets the join of the body and the rear corner panel. (I know what I mean... :unsure::blink::D:P )

Check for corrosion on the inner front wings, the water/mud sits there and does it's best to make a hole in the wing.

Erm..... can't think of anything else at the moment.....

Mark

In addition to that....

I know the aux drive belt tensioner squeeks and chirps away, this is apparent on the vast majority of the 300Tdi's (fix with WD40/3in1).

I also believe (??) that the chassis is prone to rust along the rear rails (easy to see I suppose).

Check the old Diff lock/and the light - it is prone to siezing without any use.

The central door actuators have a tendancy to be sluggish when they are on the way out, Maplins do the part for a few quid. So check all the doors open after unlocked with remote.

The rear door handle often fails to open the door! (fixed with WD40 again)

I second the leaking sunroof! they drain internally as mentioned, so are a pain to fix. (LR has issued a techincal bullitin on how to do this) :blink:

I'll keep thinking of others.......

Thanks for the iput folks - however it now looks as if a Discovery purchase is off the cards - He's just got the quotes for the insurance for a 22 yo driving one of these.

It's probably going to cost as nearly as much as what one of these vehicles would be worth!!