A little puff of smoke...

Orange

Afternoon all!

I don't often venture over to these waters, but a friend in need has asked a Q...

When doing short journeys on cold mornings the car emits quite a large puff of smoke/steam from under the bonnet about a minute after the engine has been stopped. My first guess is it's something to do with the climate control and the fact that the engine isn't really warm... The LR dealer has apparently told the owner that it's completely normal, but when pushed they wouldn't actually say what it is...

The car is a 55 plate TD4 manual if it makes any difference...

Any clues anyone??

TIA

Adrian

Mr Dorsetfreelander beat me to it, but as has been said it's a small eberspacher type fuel fired heater fitted to all td4's... it's a block heater to ensure that the engine gets up to temperature quickly in order that the emissions clean up very quickly.

Mr Dorsetfreelander beat me to it, but as has been said it's a small eberspacher type fuel fired heater fitted to all td4's... it's a block heater to ensure that the engine gets up to temperature quickly in order that the emissions clean up very quickly.

Definately fuel burning heater. But it is not fitted to all Td4's. As standard on earlier higher spec cars, in later fl1 life it was a cost option of about £500 on all cars.

Mark.