She's at it again!

kevinr

One thing I cna say about my lovely red disco is that she never really has a mechanical problem..it all damned electrics related :angry:

Well, the first problem is the speedo has stoped working...started bucking around the dial the other day, then just died!..I've checked the crankshaft sensor and there seemes to be oil around it..not a surprise as there is a leak or two under the car..a isco trait I understand. I did the usual, remove plug, contact cleaner, re-connect..last time it worked, his time, nothing. I'm going to remove the sensor and give it a clean..is this liable to work? any pitfalls I should look out for..such as any 'O' rings to replace?...I'd like to try this first as a new one is a dealer only part for £50?!?!?!

The next problem is she stalls now, when I approach a stop (lights, junction etc) and slow down, when the revs hit around idle speed, they just drop and stall the engine, the problem is intermittent and is very similar to the amplifier giving up on me...Now, since I have replaced that with a new one not 6 months ago, I'd like to think that this has not popped on me again. Any suggestions on what else could cause this..any work arounds I could try to test any issues out before I start spending more beer tokens on it?

If it is the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor, for that is it's name), tucked in behind the parking brake drum then it is a sealed unit & can't be internally cleaned...........................unless......... the casing has done it's usual thing & split open at the joint, in which case it may have road ****e inside.

If it has done this then it's not necessarily a bad thing as now you may be able to clean it inside but there still is not a lot visible, only a rotating magnet. The electrical component is still encapsulated.

But cleaning any visible ****e out may still improve it & worth a try if that is the case.

It can be resealed with blue gasket cement & cable tied together.

Be extremely careful replacing it, because if you don't get the tiny shaft inside the speedo drive before tightening the set screw it will chew itself to pieces & quit. Don't ask ok? :(

****** NB The set screw is not at 12 o'clock but at about 1 o'clock. Have a look first or you could be all day trying to fit it.

O ring. An O ring is specified to seal it to the housing but imho, don't try & use it as something "funny" seems to happen & you cannot position it accurately. Degrease the surfaces & give it a very sparingly wipe of gasket cement instead.

Don't rush it & examine everything for correct positioning before doing it, because as you said, they are expensive for what they are.

The idle problem could well be connected if the two problems happened around the same time, because as I understand it, the Idle Bypass Valve requires a signal from the VSS to operate correctly on run down before stopping.

Do the VSS FIRST & you may find the idle problem rectifies itself after the VSS has been repaired or replaced.

A flexible drive Allen key driver is a big advantage as the VSS must be one of the most inaccessible, (manual & vision) components on a Discovery.

Try & use a hoist or pit instead of laying on you back.

Let's know how you went when it's all over. :P

Hope this helps. :lol:

Thanks for the info, I'll give this a shot as soon as I have the spare time, probably monday :)

Unfortunatly though, it's a job for my back though as I have neither a pit or a hoist handy, best I can manage is a set of axel stands...but I'll update as soon as I have done the work.

I did try to take some images for such an occasion as this, but it is sooooo tight in there it was impossible.

You shouldn't need to remove the speedo gear drive (not unless that has packed it in) but if you do, you hook a thin screwdriver behind the outer perimeter ring & lever it out as it has an O ring seal. But if you don't need to, leave it alone.

Bon chance. :rolleyes:

I did try to take some images for such an occasion as this, but it is sooooo tight in there it was impossible.

You shouldn't need to remove the speedo gear drive (not unless that has packed it in) but if you do, you hook a thin screwdriver behind the outer perimeter ring & lever it out as it has an O ring seal. But if you don't need to, leave it alone.

Bon chance. :rolleyes:

praying for a speedy recovery of the old red lady - bless her

good luck mate - stick at it.

Big John

well..that was a straight forward, yet a complete pig of a job!!!! 1 bolt out...2 pieces of a speed sensor followe (explains the malfunction :) ) Line up the new one and one bolt in..probably a 30 second job IF LR put it in a more accesible area, or we all had the arms of a 1 year old.

I was checking the old one out, aside from the face plate coming off, the nylon collar which holds up the back of the magnet had come away from the spindle and had been shredded up, also, I had a small amount of oil drip out..is this normal, or at least ok..given that landrovers tend to spread the love when it comes to oil.