Bronze swarf in PTO

Paddy_SP

I'm in the middle of doing a deal for an ex-utilities PTO-driven Superwinch H14 from a 110 TD5. On removing the PTO from the transfer box, I saw loads of bronze swarf inside... I've not had a chance to look any further yet, but was wondering whether the experts on here would think it is most likely to have come from the PTO or the transfer box?

I'm in the middle of doing a deal for an ex-utilities PTO-driven Superwinch H14 from a 110 TD5. On removing the PTO from the transfer box, I saw loads of bronze swarf inside... I've not had a chance to look any further yet, but was wondering whether the experts on here would think it is most likely to have come from the PTO or the transfer box?

i know its not the same we often take the hydraulic filters out of jcbs to find swarf and once a piece of metal the size of your thumb nail stuck to the magnet, its normally on new machines which is ok until a piece gets stuck in a spool valve can be interesting/ dangerous,is there a filter in the tank or in line this maybe from new its not very often a pump goes wrong thay will just lose pressure we have some machines with 9000 hrs and there still working ok with a good pressure you may find this has not done much work and it could be from new chris

i know its not the same we often take the hydraulic filters out of jcbs to find swarf and once a piece of metal the size of your thumb nail stuck to the magnet, its normally on new machines which is ok until a piece gets stuck in a spool valve can be interesting/ dangerous,is there a filter in the tank or in line this maybe from new its not very often a pump goes wrong thay will just lose pressure we have some machines with 9000 hrs and there still working ok with a good pressure you may find this has not done much work and it could be from new chris

This looked far worse than anything you'd expect to find in new machinery - besides, it must be more than 10 years old...