Noisy Turbo and lack of power

Reng

I have developed a lack of power on my Disco TD5 it has 120 000KM on the clock. The lack of power is most noticeable on pull of as it takes a few seconds longer than normal to get the vehicle moving. As it is an Auto box and I tow a trailer you can floor it when stationary and not move. I have also noticed a higher pitched whistle / whine from the turbo all of the time when it is on boost but more so at higher revs during Auto box kick down. Where should I start looking?

The high-pitched whistle could be a blown exhaust gasket which will lower the exhaust pressure at the turbo if it is bad enough. Take off the plastic thingy and have a look for carbon deposits especially at the front and the rear of the manifold. If it has blown, the chances are that the manifold will have to be skimmed flat as it will just blow the gasket again.