TD5 Waste Gate solenoid

CYmon

Hi guys,

My Waste Gate solenoid died on me a while back so I applied the Defender Fix whist waiting for a new one to arrive in the post (ie MAP sensor side of turbo directly into the WG Actuator). Nanocom showed me driving perfectly, be it only up to 1 bar of Turbo pressure.

{Symptoms : Permanent over boost and ECU going into slug mode : Nanocom showed boost at over 1.4 bar before the ECU shut down the fuleing or whatever it does in these cases}

After a hard search, Bearmach, Swansea sent me one over that doesn't look like the original. Well, not completely.

The problem is... I threw the old one away. Gone. Woosh... :( oops.

The new one has been in place for quite a while - but... I used to get about 1.2 bar of boost when pulling 2 tonnes up a hill... now I'm lucky to get 1.05.

Its as if the solenoid is passing the trubo side directly to the WG Actuator all the time.

Can some one tell me the normal set up of these things...? (just to check I my tubes are right! )

Are there various models that are tubed up differently ?

The WG Solenoid I have is tranparent plastic (other was solid) and has three pipes I expected; top left (verical ) top right (horizontal) and bottom (vertical) - all when looking at it from the side of the car. These are connected, in same order, to the inlet manifold (ie between the AirFlow Meter and the turbo) , the WG Actuator, and the Turbo outlet.

I remember that my dead one had a free flow of air between the Inlet Man. and the Actuator, hence the Turbo pressure not causing the WG to open and reduce boost. The current one has free air flow (when no power applied) between the Turbo outlet and the WG pipe (hence it seeming to be in Defender mode).

Any help greatley appreciated because Im being overtaken by Lada's and Kias at the moment - very embarassing :excl::blush:

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon

I'm no expert, but could it be anything to do with the length of the wastergate rod? I have played around with my rod :P and found that shortening the length of the rod by 1 turn or so on the adjuster made a big difference to the amount of boost I was getting. From memory, I think shortening the rod inresases boost but I could have got that the wrong way round.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Simon

I'm no expert, but could it be anything to do with the length of the wastergate rod? I have played around with my rod :P and found that shortening the length of the rod by 1 turn or so on the adjuster made a big difference to the amount of boost I was getting. From memory, I think shortening the rod inresases boost but I could have got that the wrong way round.

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

I dont know whether to love you or hate you... :i-m_so_happy:

I gave it just one turn... AND WOW... !!!!!!

Even when there is no need for power, its there...its sudden, its raw...

... its frightening ...

Yes... I'm going to have to learn to drive again now and remember where the road cameras are (hence the "hate you" bit).

So big a difference it made that I plugged in NanoComm on "Read Fueling" mode to monitor what the WasteGate ratio is... runs off load at zero % (expected) and shows between 25 and 40% activity when my foot is hard down going up hill (and accelerating all the way).

Max boost is now 1.1 bar constant (I see more when I put my foot down hard, 1.14Bar tops, then it drops to 1.1).

As I was seeing 1.18 max (1.2 peak) before, I guess I can add another turn. But I'll wait till I get used to the current setting.

I'll be pulling a tonne or two tomorrow and be back in a week or so.

Thanks for the tip...

Cheers

Simon

Max boost is now 1.1 bar constant (I see more when I put my foot down hard, 1.14Bar tops, then it drops to 1.1).

As I was seeing 1.18 max (1.2 peak) before, I guess I can add another turn. But I'll wait till I get used to the current setting.

I'll be pulling a tonne or two tomorrow and be back in a week or so.

Thanks for the tip...

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon

Glad you made some progress. I made a mark with a hacksaw on the threaded bar to enable me to reset it. It is amazing how much difference a small turn makes. I put 2 turns on mine and then backed it off to 1.5

I got a boost gauge to check what was happening but never got around to fitting it.

How far off the boost limit are you with this max reading?

Cheers

Andy