Brake valve

Bonfire

Dear forum, as you may recall I'm having problems with my rear brakes not being up to standard.

Seeing as the brake shuttle valve is a likely source of aggrivation of this sort that I wish to eliminate if possible.....when i bleed it i worry about setting it off again.

Would it be possible to remove it and plumb the respective pipes together? Seeing as the two circuits are seperate anyway, surely a leak on one circuit wouldn't affect the other anyway?

Ive heard of it being done on S3 d/circuit brakes but not on a Defender.

It is the valve of the type mounted on the drivers' footwell, with what looks like 4 pipes, 2 top 2 bottom (dark outside) and one end has got a hexagon bung and the other end has got a tube like protrusion for about 1 inch sticking out the other side?

Thanks once again

James.

Dear forum, as you may recall I'm having problems with my rear brakes not being up to standard.

Seeing as the brake shuttle valve is a likely source of aggrivation of this sort that I wish to eliminate if possible.....when i bleed it i worry about setting it off again.

Would it be possible to remove it and plumb the respective pipes together? Seeing as the two circuits are seperate anyway, surely a leak on one circuit wouldn't affect the other anyway?

Ive heard of it being done on S3 d/circuit brakes but not on a Defender.

It is the valve of the type mounted on the drivers' footwell, with what looks like 4 pipes, 2 top 2 bottom (dark outside) and one end has got a hexagon bung and the other end has got a tube like protrusion for about 1 inch sticking out the other side?

Thanks once again

James.

A better option (which requires a little more plumbing) would be to add part ANR1415 which is a front to rear balancing valve. When you brake hard, it sticks more pressure in to the front than the back, helping to stop the back skidding. It was fitted to CSW vehicles - and makes one hell of a difference!

The shuttle valve comes in two flavours :

NRC7871 - PDWA Pressure differential warning actuator

NRC6515 - PDWA/PCR Pressure Conscious Reduction.

It is usually the latter which sticks giving uneven front to rear braking. If you fit the former in it's place, all it does is illuminate the brake warning light if there is a problem. If it sticks, the light stays on (usually the switch packs up before it sticks so the light doesn't come on at all!).

This would be preferable to connecting them together with a tee-piece.

Si

• 4 weeks later...