Disco 200tdi - no start. Not even a click!

ThreeSheds

I just thought I'd share this little success story with you all... :lol:

I am well used to the problem where a car won't start and all you get is a CLICK and the instrument lights go dim, but this one was new - it did nothing when I turned the key to the start position. Absolutely nothing. The instrument lights stayed bright and there was no click from the starter.

First I thought it was the immobiliser, so tried a few lockings and unlockings etc - nothing changed. Next I tested for voltage at the pump-solenoid (I tested here because it was easy to get at) and there was plenty - so not the immobiliser then.

Next I tested for voltage at the switched lead into the starter solenoid while turning the key, and that was ok, so not fuses/switches/connections.

So it had to be the starter motor relay. Normally (in my experience) when these fail, they click but the motor doesn't spin - so this was different. But maybe the normal solution would work?

So I tried the normal solution - and... TADAAA - It worked :D

Land Rover Special Tool Number One to the rescue!

A light tap with a hammer and all is well again :)

Rog

(It still smokes like a **** when starting though!)